Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Graunke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

photo IMG_0162_zps419e2427.jpg
Here's a pic of the 3 wire tie system
Joe

BANDITFARMER
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I have learned something new today, I have never seen or herd of a 3 wire system on an Oliver baler or any other baler for that fact, And I love Oliver equipment. I would say it would have to be kinda rare for sure. What model baler is it? Bandit

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of our customers had a model 100 baler till a few years ago. Out where my brother inlaw lives in AZ all the square balers that size are 3 wire and bales are over 100 pounds.

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still bale with my 720, but also never heard of an Oliver 3 wire baler. Interesting.

Cas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At one time there were a fair number of Oliver Balers in our area. We had 3 and the last was a 620. Then got a JD 336 as Oliver was out of the baler business.
It is interesting about an Oliver 3 wire baler. I can remember back a little before that time and never remember seeing one in Western or Central New York State.

Cas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The more I think about if I could buy a 3 wire Oliver I probably would. It would probably need any wore or broken parts fabricated. No use thinking about it too much. If I have not run across one in over 50 years, probably will not see one.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to look in some of my Oliver catalogs, but I think there was also a 102 3 wire baler for a few years as well.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They must have been pretty common in Hollywood. Seems like every bale you see in old movies and TV shows were three wire bales. lol

Cas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have noticed that too about the older movies. Every time I see one of those movies I think must have been made by a big baler. Then say to myself can't be.
I would think the three wire balers were quite pricey. Might have been a California thing selling to Hollywood. Can not imagine Hollywood types baling anything.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like I said below out at least in AZ the older balers are 3 wire balers. We were out there one year when the AZ state fair was going on and Budweiser had some of there horses there and all the bales they had were 3 wire and they were paying $10 to 12 a bale for good horse hay at about 100 pounds per bale.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Especially the old Westerns that were supposed to be about events in the 1870's and 1880's

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya,I remember an episode of Bonanza where Ben said "I've bought up every bale of alfalfa hay between here and" ........... wherever it was. LOL

rayloneal
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Cas"](quoted from post at 22:17:19 12/27/14) The more I think about if I could buy a 3 wire Oliver I probably would. It would probably need any wore or broken parts fabricated. No use thinking about it too much. If I have not run across one in over 50 years, probably will not see one.[/quote]I have an Oliver 100 wire baler with a 4 cylinder Wisconson engine. 3 tie. Baled hay when parked in shed in 1975.

rayloneal
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How rare is a 101 baler with 3 wire tie system. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Cas"](quoted from post at 22:17:19 12/27/14) The more I think about if I could buy a 3 wire Oliver I probably would. It would probably need any wore or broken parts fabricated. No use thinking about it too much. If I have not run across one in over 50 years, probably will not see one.[/quote]I have an Oliver 100 wire baler with a 4 cylinder Wisconson engine. 3 tie. Baled hay when parked in shed in 1975.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters