Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coo1959
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm the proud and grateful owner of what I believe to be a 1956 Allis Chalmers fork lift that is getting tired, but still getting by. I've owned the old girl for all of fifteen years during which time it has given me very few problems. It refused to start several days ago so I pulled the carb off and found the gasket between the carb and intake manifold must have expired at some point before I acquired the machine, so someone made a gasket out of orange silicone...???? Some mother's children..

At any rate, the silicone finally started leaking. My first clue was when it became increasingly hard to start when in the past, it always flashed right up, plus after the last few startups, it would run only with the choke pretty much pulled right out.I knew already that it had a bad vacuum leak around the throttle plate shaft and upon getting the carburetor off the machine, I discovered what is causing the leak. The shaft that holds the throttle plate and runs through the carburetor top is broken and therefore, the shaft has no rigidity and flexes at the break which is right beside one of the holes that the screws that hold the plate in place goes through. The machine still runs but I'd really like to either get another throttle shaft or top for the carb with a good one in it.

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I can set the carb outside for proper lighting as the lighting in my shop is not the best for taking good, clear photos. I cannot find any identifying marks on the carb aside from three digits in the top part. I'll edit this and add those numbers ( it is 2:30 AM and I just came in from the shop ) but I forgot to write them down tonight when I found them. I'll also take some photos of the carb so maybe someone can identify it. The engine is almost certainly the original six cylinder and if there are numbers for identification on it, could someone please advise me where to look? I really need this machine around here and it has to last a few more years. I make it a practice to never start or use it unless it is absolutely essential that I do so as I figure that every time that I start it is one less start for that old starter and every hour that it runs means that we are one hour closer to a breakdown. So it doesn't get used much, but when it does get used, it's because I really need it for the task at hand.

Any suggestions as to parts sources for the old girl would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has an extra carburetor laying around that the want to sell.. kindly keep me in mind. I'll be back with more info and photos..

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't have my Allis book, but by memory, I believe Allis bought the Buda Company about 1953 or 54 for their line of engines and fork lifts so your unit being a 56 may still be built to the old Buda prints and have a Buda engine some of which used Zenith carbs and others a Marvel-Schebler TSX.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the kits are pretty generic these days a kit for a Cockshutt 30 would probably work just need to figure if its a MS or Zenith.

coo1959
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the information so far. I've attached some photos of the machine, the carb and engine and the information on the dash tag is as follows:
Model FTP 66 24
Serial number 1645 1000

Can anyone verify the year of manufacture on the machine and type of engine. I recall when I got it, someone told me that a Chevy six cylinder ( 235? ) is an almost direct bolt in for the bell housing. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the specifics of tractors although I can find my way around when it comes to fixing them. I went to the local implement dealer but the parts guy was not very helpful, nor did he appear to want to be of assistance. If it isn't on the stupid computer, then he isn't into serving a customer. When I asked about a gasket for the carb/intake, he just looked at me like a cow looking at a new gate..nice guy but just not... well, you know.*sighs*

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

since its a 6 cylinder and if its a Buda engine then it'd be like the 40 or 50 Cockshutt.Does the engine have a metal tag on it?

coo1959
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No metal tag that I can find but it could be buried under layers of grease. The machine is over due for some serious shop time with a leaking tilt cylinder and steering cylinder - hopefully, early this coming Spring. The throw-out bearing has been noisy since I bought the machine and needs to be changed which of course, will involve removing the engine for new seals and gaskets. It's certainly been a good old girl and seldom gives any trouble and when it does, the issues are more fuel related than anything. - I don't know how I got by before acquiring it.

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clean the brass tag, shown in the photo of the top of the carb, and look at it carefully. There should be a number on it. If it is a Marvel Schebler carb the carb model numbers often start with TSX then 3 numbers, on carbs that look like that. Wire brush the sides of the mounting flange. Often Marvel Schebler is cast in the carb flange.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right Leroy. Good chance it's a Buda, he did say six cyl. 40-50 and E4-E5 used Zenith. Mine is 10946 on a round tag riveted to the top of the bowl near the fuel inlet fitting.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a Buda, definitely. And Zenith. Look for a number on the round tag under your fingers in the picture.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The carb kit the folks here at YT Parts have listed for the Cockshutt 40/50 should be the kit you need.

coo1959
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Fork Lift Carburetor Parts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input..

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters