Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor and Noah
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son recently spent his 4-H money on a 1945 Farmall A, and we're working on it together. (Both of us are novices!) The previous owner said it was running 5 years ago, but has been sitting in the barn since. We have spark, and we have rebuilt the carburater, but still can't get it started. Yesterday we realized that the exhaust is sucking air in, which seems like maybe a problem with a valve. (Or a head gasket, but how would that have blown sitting in the barn?). So we opened up the valve cover and adjusted the clearance on the valves per the manual, but aren't sure what else to do in there, or what else we might try. Any suggestions? Many thanks! p.s. we haven't done a compression check, since we don't have a gauge.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suspect a bad valve.

Were any of the valves real loose, if so that would be the one.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many auto parts stores rent compression gauges etc. You pay for them use them then take them back and they give you your $$ back. Or you can also do the thumb test by putting your thumb over each plug hole and see if it try's to push your thumb off. Good chance you have a valve or 3 stuck open just little bit. I would since it sat that long fill each cylinder with ATF. Put the plugs back in and also pour as much ATF down the exhaust as you can till it starts to leak out some place. Let it sit a week and then pull the plugs out and spin it over and see if it is still sucking air. Good chance the ATF will have freed up things plus also helped compression

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could well be a stuck valve or it's even possible mice could have carried food or nesting materials in there.

Charlie M
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience when these old tractors sit many were close to needing a valve job before sitting and the the seats continue to corrode from not running and you end up with no compression. I bought an A like
that and a Cub like that and once they had a valve job they ran fine. My A had 10 psi on a couple of cylinders and nothing on the others. The valves were in real bad shape when I removed the head.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have no compression gauge you take your thumb and place it over the spark plug hole then spin engine and it should blow air past your thumb. Poor mans gauge. If you thumb seals it -- no compression.

Thor and Noah
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for these ideas. We will be pursuing the valve problem this weekend, and I'll post the results. One question - is there any downside to using ATF? I assume we would change the oil afterwards. Thanks again!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall A Exhaust Sucking Air Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No need to change the oil after you do that treatment. Just crack open the top oil check petcock so as to drain any excess oil out. ATF is just a very high detergent oil and will help clean up and free up parts.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters