Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff cas

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
refer123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff cas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a1960-61 MM Jetstar, having a problem with hydraulic fluid getting into the differential case. No external leaks. Have to remove diff. level plug every so often to drain out the same amount of oil I added to the hydraulic sys. I have also had to change out the 80/90 gear oil in the differential several times over the years. I am hoping I am not the only person this has ever happened too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Jim

SWMolines
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is most likely the oil seal on the hydraulic pump shaft leaking. The shaft will often get a wear groove from the seal as well as the seal wearing and cracking with age.

I have repaired some pumps with a SKF Speedi Sleeve, a new seal, and new bearings while I have it apart.

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seal on the front of hydraulic pump. Special Hyd. pump seal. Check pump shaft for looseness. If pump is worn badly seal will not hold. Worse case scenario is that there would be a crack in the case in the high pressure passage from the pump to the three point housing.
MMDEL

lenray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am having the same problem on a MM M5 DIESEL. My hyd. oil is then leaking out of the PTO shaft area. I can't get the dust seal out of the PTO shaft. How does a guy repair the hyd. leak???
Is it a big repair with splitting the tractor etc. Any help is much appreciated. len in michigan

R.D.F.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those guys gave you some great information. We work on lots of these tractors through out the year, so have a couple tips or you. Depending which hyd system your tractor has, another leak source could be the 3pt-differential connection. The different pumps use different seals and bearings. I can't tell from here what your tractor has. For more help call 920 295 3278, we stock seals and bearings, Dale

R.D.F.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to add, we stock seals for the M5 pto, drill a couple holes in the dust cover, insert sheet metal screws and use those to remove it. You don't need it, the modern seals are much improved over the oem seals. Dale

lenray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Dale sent you an email. I can remove the dust seal , but will probable have to destroy it as the 2 screw thing didn't work for me.

refer123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SWMolines wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:18:32 01/08/19) It is most likely the oil seal on the hydraulic pump shaft leaking. The shaft will often get a wear groove from the seal as well as the seal wearing and cracking with age.

I have repaired some pumps with a SKF Speedi Sleeve, a new seal, and new bearings while I have it apart.

Thanks for the info. on the pump seal. I have replaced that seal at least 2 times in the last 6 years. does not seem to help.
Maybe MMDEL has something? How do I check for that crack in the passage you are taking about?

Thanks for all the response guys, really appreciate the info.

SWMolines
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can pull the tin cover off of the left side of the rearend housing and look inside to see if you can determine the source of your leak.

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said you had replaced the seal twice before. If when you replaced the seal and it didn't leak for a period of time then your case must be OK. I would check your shaft and see if it needs a speedi sleeve like S W moline suggested. Or bearings and or housing is wore causing radial movement or excess pressure on the seal causing it to fail.
MMDEL

refer123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SWMOLINES wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:01:40 01/09/19) You can pull the tin cover off of the left side of the rearend housing and look inside to see if you can determine the source of your leak.

Where would this tin cover be? I see no access to the differential, unless you remove the hydraulic system an access it from the top, or break the tractor in half?

SWMolines
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

refer123 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:22:28 01/09/19)
CVPost-SWMOLINES wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:01:40 01/09/19) You can pull the tin cover off of the left side of the rearend housing and look inside to see if you can determine the source of your leak.

Where would this tin cover be? I see no access to the differential, unless you remove the hydraulic system an access it from the top, or break the tractor in half?

Unless you have a belt pulley or second hydraulic pump ....., there should be a stamped steel cover on the left-side behind the rear axle.

refer123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SWMolines wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:50:15 01/10/19)
refer123 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:22:28 01/09/19)
CVPost-SWMOLINES wrote:

Unless you have a belt pulley or second hydraulic pump ....., there should be a stamped steel cover on the left-side behind the rear axle.

Ok, I found that cover, there is one on both sides, ? it looks like they are held on by 3, 5/8" bolts, correct?
However it looks like I will need to drain the 80/90 diff oil first, right?

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On rear left above axle on back is tin plug for belt pulley
drive.4 or 5 inches in diameter. Five bolt holes surround
plate.That is where external hydraulic pump or belt pulley drive
mounts to. Usually on industrial models.

refer123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Minneapolis Moline Jet Star, Hyd fluid getting into Diff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-molinegb wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:25 01/10/19) On rear left above axle on back is tin plug for belt pulley
drive.4 or 5 inches in diameter. Five bolt holes surround
plate.That is where external hydraulic pump or belt pulley drive
mounts to. Usually on industrial models.

Ok, I see it now. it looks like soft plug, do I just pry it out?
And when I get it out am I looking for a crack, or should use the hydraulics and look for leaks?
Thanks for the info so far.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters