Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need recommendation for farm wagon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdncr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wagons and trailers seem to carry steep prices here in north-central Kentucky. Hay wagon running gears in just decent shape average around $850, I'd say. Utility trailers seem to average on up there as well. There is one fellow a few miles from me listing a rusted out, badly twisted house trailer frame on CL for $150, but it's been on there for over two months with no takers it's such a mess...

I'd love to find one of the old Ferguson SW-2W 3/4 ton utility wagons but as I've never seen one in any condition around hereabouts, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I may eventually end up fabricating one from scratch, as it looks like a very versatile rig and just the right size for what I'd like to have.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly what is a "farm wagon" to you? Do you have in mid a hay wagon? there are a lot of them for sale, but it would probably not work well in the woods. Or maybe you have in mind a two wheel trailer like everyone else uses for wood? That would probably work better but you have to be very careful to put only just a little weight on the tractor hitch. Tell a little about what you have in mind.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall t your wagon will wander all over the place doing what you say. The caster and camber will be backwadrs for towing at any speed more than tractor speed. I just weld a plate on the top and the bottom of the axle beam with a tube through them. This makes the base for the tongue to pin on to.
then use some plate to stick under the axle for the tierod to bolt to. Then with 2 plates up edge wise and a top plate weld this all together then drill a hole for the tongue to bolt to this allows it to move up and down while the other pin lets it move sideways for turning. It will track good at 50 mile per hour if the towin is set right. I then weld stops to the axle that hit the side of the main piece of the tongue for turning limitation. These stops are the same as the stops on the spindles.
I would use an old pick up frame and strip the box off. For woods maneuvering short and narrow is best. Width of your tractor at most.

kylemorley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got pretty much the same thing, an angle iron 1st generation U-Haul 4x8, rusted but solid, paid $40 for it. Lots of them hiding in the weeds for $50-100 if you look.

After getting used to it, I'd never want anything larger. especially because it spends most of its time hooked up to the ball on the front grill guard backing up. Amazing how maneuverable a trailer is when used this way, I can snake it snug up to the woodshed door so no wasted effort.

Another thing about a bigger trailer is the notorious n-series brakes, especially if it's hilly where you live.

'

Bill M. From Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A single axle trailer has several advantages. It is easier to back, easier to load because it sits lower,
and you may be able to partially unload by just lifting up the 3 point and popping the clutch. I see some small trailers for sale that are cheap because they have no title. I had some stub axles that I used to have a small heavy duty trailer frame welded up and I added wood floor and side racks. Its been extremely useful over the years .

henryv11
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"copse" nothing to do with your wagon but that's the first time Ive seen that word used since I read Pickets charge at the battle of gettysburg.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We bought this trailer at a pawn shop for $225. Probably $100 in lumber to fix it. We use it for everything.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-henryv11 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:51:49 01/09/19) "copse" nothing to do with your wagon but that's the first time Ive seen that word used since I read Pickets charge at the battle of gettysburg.

Henry, when you go there and tour the battle fields you will come across a description that includes a reference to a "copse of trees". It probably was used more in those days.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bill Crowell wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:41:15 01/08/19) For the next several years I intend to collect my firewood from a 5-acre oak copse on the back of my property, and I keep wiping out the fiberglass fender extensions on my dually on the leaning trees. I am getting tired of fixing them, so I guess I really need to buy a farm wagon to tow behind my 8N rather than using the dually to collect firewood. I can't seem to find any used farm wagons, so I'm probably going to have to buy one new. Would any of you know of one that is a good value? Thanks a lot.
too bad you are not close to Texas, as I would let you have this red JD gear one that has scaffold on it in picture.

https://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z232/JMOR_photo/Other/trailer_John_Deer.jpg

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:38:02 01/09/19)
CVPost-Bill Crowell wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:41:15 01/08/19) For the next several years I intend to collect my firewood from a 5-acre oak copse on the back of my property, and I keep wiping out the fiberglass fender extensions on my dually on the leaning trees. I am getting tired of fixing them, so I guess I really need to buy a farm wagon to tow behind my 8N rather than using the dually to collect firewood. I can't seem to find any used farm wagons, so I'm probably going to have to buy one new. Would any of you know of one that is a good value? Thanks a lot.
too bad you are not close to Texas, as I would let you have this red JD gear one that has scaffold on it in picture.

https://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z232/JMOR_photo/Other/trailer_John_Deer.jpg

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-caterpillar guy wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:15:12 01/09/19) Tall t your wagon will wander all over the place doing what you say. The caster and camber will be backwadrs for towing at any speed more than tractor speed. tractor at most.

Even with the tie rod up front, the adjustable tie rod ends are still available to correct the tires.

The rod could also be made adjustable at the tongue.

Anyway, that is exactly how the Vancouver Canada road crew shacks were made and moved to a job site and parked . . . probably slowly and in the wee hours. Smile

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mine is actually to big for the 8n,,but got it for 35 dollars at a farm sale ,it had flat tires

my brother had some wheels and tires that fit and were already mounted,I still have the original wheels with the flat tires somewhere in the barn

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy the smallest 1 you can find and don't load it over 1/2 full. Used ones are everywhere here.

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry,

That old shed with the stone foundation is a thing of beauty!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for farm wagon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:31:34 01/11/19) Larry,

That old shed with the stone foundation is a thing of beauty!

T, you need to visit SE PA. you could see hundreds of sheds like that as well as hundreds of large post and beam barns.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters