Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

booster box bargain or orphan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Opinions sought; I have a $50.00 gift card for Lowe's. I would like to put it toward a new jump-start booster box. The dilemma seems to be that the local Lowe's has merchandise that is old enough that it is not listed in Lowe's internet ads. If I find a deal on a unit in the store, I am thinking it may actually be old stock and its internal lead/acid battery will be near the end of its life. This means the $50.00 savings would not be a bargain. I want to get a Schumacher unit, which is generally good stuff, to my knowledge, but I don't want to throw away money on something that is obsolete before I get it. Looking for thoughts, opinions.

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a booster box for my parents 15+ years ago, and it finally died. It was a cheapie no-name box, but had always worked well, so I decided to open it up and see if it was worth replacing the battery. Watched several youtube videos and it looked pretty simple, and indeed it was. Half a dozen or so screws hold the case together and once it's apart the battery numbers matched right up with a common battery usually used in power wheelchairs or similar applications. 35 bucks from Amazon or plenty of other places, two bolts on the connections, pop the old one out, the new one in, and back in business. Therefore, if you get a decent deal on the booster box itself, I wouldn't let the possibility of an old battery deter you.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello DMartin9n-2N,

Go for it. Check the battery voltage when you get home. If it
is dead, no worry, charge it at a low rate 1/2 amp or so. It
will come right up. If it doesn't, a replacement battery is
cheaper then the box at full price,

Guido.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you find it's no good within the return period, take it back. Then you'll have cash in your pocket instead of a gift card.

DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Guido wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:53:18 01/08/19) Hello DMartin9n-2N,

Go for it. Check the battery voltage when you get home. If it
is dead, no worry, charge it at a low rate 1/2 amp or so. It
will come right up. If it doesn't, a replacement battery is
cheaper then the box at full price,

Guido.
Hi, Guido:
I went ahead and got a new $99.00 Schumacher with my $50.00 Lowe's gift card applied, so I have about $50.00 plus tax in it. It showed fully charged when I got home and unsealed the box. End of story, I hope!! Thanks for the replies, people!

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some the batteries are NOT replaceable, I have one like that.

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: booster box bargain or orphan? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course--lots of different styles out there, but like many things a lot of them are made by the same small group of companies and are just re-branded, which is why the replacement procedure is identical or nearly so even on different brands.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters