Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT Oil in a 60 year old generator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishopNlouisiana
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've inherited a old military generator about 60 years old. I'm hoping the old experts here could help me to keep it running.
It's electric start, about 3500KW, single cylinder, and the engine runs fine and it puts out 122 volts at 60 hz.
It has an old oil leak in a lot of places. It does not drip on the ground, it dries on the engine. I want to replace the engine oil and maybe add a oil stop-leak.
It has a oil breather like my 52 8N.

Any information on oil type and should I put oil leak sealer in a 60 year old engine?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You sure on the 3500 KW and not 3500 Watts?

Jim in Eastern NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be a BIG generator; I suppose you mean 3500W or 3.5KW. Regardless, we use standard, high-quality oils in our 60 year old tractors, and I suspect a good brand of 10W30 or 15W40 would be appropriate for a small engine like you have. If it really is a 3,500,000W engine, then I'm out of my league! If you're in Louisiana as your handle suggests, and it is a normal engine, then you won't need the oils that many of our more northern friends sometimes use. I use Mobil 1 15W40 in my two 8N's and one 631, and they turn over just fine in the teens or in the 90's.

bishopNlouisiana
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a big https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto29428.jpg[/img]

It's a big engine and big generator but small on output. What about oil stop leak?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a simple Kohler engine, simple and easy to work on and parts should be available.

Not even TOO many places they can leak!

Fix it and be dome with it!

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s a Tonka Toy !

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BishopNlouisiana.Oil stop leak? All such products are mostly a farce/snake oil.
Where is the oil leak at there are little places on a Kohler engine that can leak oil and all can be repaired easily.Such as crankshaft seals,valve cover and oil pan gaskets and low costs.Repair the leaks and forget the snake oil.Results would be a GREAT old engine and no oil leaks.

shelbym71
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

about the only thing I have ever had any luck with was putting a couple ounces of brake fluid in old oil swell seals then change it but they are gonna leak again soon so best to fix it oil stop leaks never had any luck with em but it will not hurt that motor since it gets to steadily run at same RPM

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Den N Ms wrote:
BishopNlouisiana.Oil stop leak? All such products are mostly a farce/snake oil.
Where is the oil leak at there are little places on a Kohler engine that can leak oil and all can be repaired easily.Such as crankshaft seals,valve cover and oil pan gaskets and low costs.Repair the leaks and forget the snake oil.Results would be a GREAT old engine and no oil leaks.

Ditto.

That would be fun little project. Take it apart, fix the leaks, make it look nice.

Steve A W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a youtuber that works on old generators.
Check out his channel and maybe you can contact him.
SmallEngineMechanic

AllanC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you go to Smokstak.com there's all sorts of Generator guys on there that can help.

GarryinNC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Oil in a 60 year old generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish that I had something that leaked as little as it looks like your engine is leaking!

Garry

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters