Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

53 Jubilee new coil question

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Narrowed down my starting issues to a bad coil. Just got the replacement in the mail.

Small problem. Old coil labeled the posts "Batt" and "Dist".

New one is labeled + and -

With all the positive ground confusion, I don't know how to wire it up.

Help please....

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good question, here's my answer, see if others agree???

If its a Positive ground tractor: - terminal is fed voltage from ignition switch, + terminal wires to distributor
(where it gets its Positive ground when points closed)

If its a Negative Ground tractor: + terminal is fed voltage from ignition switch, - terminal wires to distributor
(where it gets its Negative ground when points closed)

John T

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bfonda,On a positive ground tractor the + side of the coil goes to the wire that comes from the distributor.
The wire that comes from the switch goes to the= side of the coil.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is an easy one. Look at it this way the distributor grounds the ignition circuit so if your tractor is + ground the + side of the coil goes to the distributor if - ground - to the distributor

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the timely replies. I got it installed last night but it still wont catch.

I have power to both the new coil and distributor but its not getting spark to the spark plug. When I put the charge detector on the distributor, it does not flash when I crank it. This seems to indicate a distributor problem, but when i took the cap off everything looks brand new. The rotor also turns when cranked and the cap is off. New cap?

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are your points making contact? At wire from coil to side of distributor you should see battery voltage with points open and near zero volts with points closed.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an inline spark detector i usually use for the spark plug. I hooked it up between the coil and distibutor and cranked. I got no spark indicator. Doesnt make sense if brand new coil.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bfonda wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:39:07 01/10/19)
I have an inline spark detector i usually use for the spark plug. I hooked it up between the coil and distibutor and cranked. I got no spark indicator. Doesnt make sense if brand new coil.

It means you have issues with power getting to the coil OR the points aren't making contact when closed OR there's an "open" or a "short" in the primary circuit between the coil and the points.

Wouldn't be the first time the "paper" insulators at the terminal post got damaged, allowing the post to short to the distributor body, or the little copper strip between the terminal post and the points BROKE, or possibly got bent, causing it to short to the distributor body.

Condensers can short, as well.

Try this... grab an unpowered test light that will light on 6 Volts, ground one lead, and connect the other to the "distributor side" primary terminal on the coil.

Turn on the ignition switch.

If the points are "open", the light should light, if the points are closed, the light should NOT be lit.

If you crank the engine, the light should flash on and off, as the points open and close.

Try that simple test and post back with the results.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check to make sure Power is coming from the key switch. If there is power, Turn the engine so the points are closed with the ignition off. With points closed, turn ignition on and open the points with a screwdriver. The screwdriver should not touch anything else, only the points. You should see a little spark in the points and the big wire coming out of the coil should snap a big long healthy spark when the end of the wire is held close to metal.

No spark when you try this? Then leave the points closed and short the screwdriver blade across the moving arm of the points and the stationary part of the points. If you get spark this way with the points closed the points aren’t making contact. If no spark look very close at the nut on the end of the points spring. Something might be grounding there. In fact, check this area first.

It’s a very simple rudimentary way to check the points out. If you are jumpy about sparks flying around this might not be for you but it’s the very first thing I do when there is no spark coming out of the coil. It’s quick and easy and doesn’t require fancy testers.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run into that problem all the time when working on tractors and 99% of the time the point either need to be cleaned or replaced. Points work like an on off switch for the ignition circuit and if there dirty and do not conduct power the coil cannot fire because you have an open circuit and you cannot see if there good or bad with your eyes you have to be 1000% sure you get a small spark at the points when you open them by hand

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You make a good point. I don't have a key ignition only a toggle switch. I can't seem to be able to tell the difference whether its on or off, the engine still turns over either way.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a simple almost no brains needed test to see if the points etc. are good. Run a hot wire from the ignition side of the battery as in non-ground side to the ignition side of the coil. Touch the wire to the coil then back off again. You should get a small spark when you do that. No spark means bad points or the points are open

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bfonda wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:38:45 01/10/19)
You make a good point. I don't have a key ignition only a toggle switch. I can't seem to be able to tell the difference whether its on or off, the engine still turns over either way.

Easy.. Get a magic marker and test light. One side of your flip switch is always hot, the other side is only sometimes hot. Mark on and off once you test it.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like you need to work through my Ignition Troubleshooting Procedure. Its easy and requires no expensive or fancy test equipment, maybe just your eyes and/or a simple test light or voltmeter

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=5745

John T
John Ts Ignition Troubleshooting

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=5745

John T
John Ts Ignition Troubleshooting

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters