Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

53 Jubilee new coil question

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure to get true wire plug type wire or the problem will come back. Plug wires made for cars and truck do not hold up well on tractor and could well be why you had the problem in the first place

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:47:50 01/14/19) Be sure to get true wire plug type wire or the problem will come back. Plug wires made for cars and truck do not hold up well on tractor and could well be why you had the problem in the first place

Good call. I was heading to Advanced auto, I'll reroute the extra miles to Tractor supply.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your going form one bad store to one that is even worse. Go to NAPA or O'Reilly's and buy a set of TRUE wire plug wires and be done with it and have a good set instead of poor set.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I'm back.

Taking Old's advice, I went to Napa and bought a good quality Distributor wire and confirmed connectivity.

I went back and went through the assorted tests suggested above. I have current to both the coil high and low termials. I also have current to the terminal on the distributor. Interestingly when i remove the distributor cap, i no longer get charge to the same terminals above.

Since I have replaced the coil, points, condenser, and rotor I am starting to think I have a bad ground. I am particularly concerned with the distributor post insulation.

I have gone through John T's checklist and since I cant get a flashing connection to the distributor when cranking and have eliminated everything except a bad ground.

Its hard to imagine the distributor not grounding with as much metal to metal contact. It seems more likely to be the insulation on the distributor post but dont kow how to test for this.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the distributor cap off. Next use a hot were from the battery ignition side as in non ground. Touch the ignition side of the distributor as in non distributor side key off. You should get a spark when you do that. If you get a spark then turn the engine just enough to open the points. Then do the test with the wire. If you still get a spark you have a short some place In the distributor. It could be the points them self if you got them from say TSC. Or the insulator going into the side of the distributor is shorted out which happens. As to testing a ground to the distributor use the same hot wire and touch the side of the distributor and you should get a big spark in doing so

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

QUESTION 1

"I have gone through John T's checklist and since I cant get a flashing connection to the distributor when cranking and have eliminated everything except a bad ground."

ANSWER

If a test lamp is on the coils output (to distributor) or else the distributors side pass through terminal where that wire is connected and ignition on and engine cranked over

IT MUST FLASH ON WHEN POINTS ARE OPEN BUT OFF WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED

5a) If the lamp never comes on there, the coils primary is bad/open,,,,,,,,,,or the points are never opening,,,,,,,,,or theres a shorted/bad condensor (remove its lead to points and see if lamp comes on, if so, bad shorted condensor or its wiring),,,,,,,,or the points wire is shorted,,,,,,,,or the distributors side pass thru stud is grounded (use ohm meter to test that),,,,,,,,,or the points may have a shorted spring.

5b) If the lamp never goes off as engines cranked, the points are not closing or are bad,,,,,,,,or the wire or circuit is missing from the distributor to the points,,,,,or the distributors not well grounded to the tractor,,,,,,,,,,or the points aren't wired right or getting a good ground.

She cant fire the coil unless its low side is getting a conductive ground return path via closed points and then the circuit is open when the points open.

Be sure the condensor or its wiring is NOT shorted out and see if the lite comes on (when points open) with the condensor disconnected. If removing the condensor makes her spark, replace the condensor

QUESTION 2

Its hard to imagine the distributor not grounding with as much metal to metal contact. It seems more likely to be the insulation on the distributor post but dont kow how to test for this.

ANSWER If the insulation on the distributors side pass thru stud/terminal is bad and its shorted out she wont fire and a test lamp on the distributors stud or the coils to dist terminal will never come on as its shorted out.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?? If not post back

John T

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:50:25 01/10/19) Here is a simple almost no brains needed test to see if the points etc. are good. Run a hot wire from the ignition side of the battery as in non-ground side to the ignition side of the coil. Touch the wire to the coil then back off again. You should get a small spark when you do that. No spark means bad points or the points are open

Going back through these notes now that i am getting familiar with the parts and terminology.

Did this test and got spark from the battery to the ignition side coil post, when the ignition was off and points closed. and just to be clear when I open the points it does not spark.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

points are making contact. with points closed i get 6v reading from the ignition side of the coil to the distributor body. Apparently my points are good

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob-

Going back and doing this test, it works according to you expectations. "on" when open, "off" when closed, and now the distributor side terminal does flash on and off when cranking.

I feel like i am making progress

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With voltmeter between distributor terminal, points closed, ignition on i get nothing.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Points closed, ignition on, getting 6V at the breaker arm, nothing at the plate that is screwed into the dist. plate.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doing this test when the points are closed, i get nothing. Open I get 6v.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

update

Closed points i get nothing on both clean ground and point ground. When points are open I get 6V at both locations.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok repeated this test and i got the results you expected, spark when closed, no spark when open. So the conclusion is that i have no shorts in my distributor.

bfonda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 53 Jubilee new coil question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it. Making progress

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters