Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YooperJD60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep shearing a pin on the snowblower and can't figure out why. It doesn't take much of a load in the blower and It shears. At first I thought maybe I was going too fast,but even at slower speeds it shears. The blower seems to operate well otherwise. I can rotate the shaft by hand and it feels smooth and easy.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Over time the shearbolt holes get wallowed out/tapered, so the shearbolt gets pushed on unevenly, making it break much easier than when the holes are straight and true.

YooperJD60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That could be the case....the shear pin is 1/4" and fits loose...maybe I should drill it out to 5/16" or drill a new hole?

DIM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that problem on my snow blower. I had repaired the drive shaft and did not weld the u joints back in line.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would drill out the hole it already has to the next size up and give that a try unless the shaft is real small

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was the original a special bolt? Should not fit loose. Was the original a metric bolt?

Drill new 1/4" holes, both pieces.

YooperJD60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It also has a keyway...does this sound right? When the shear pin breaks then the PTO shaft keeps spinning or flys off and I also lose the keyway

stevob671
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So is it supposed to have a key and the bolt is just to hold it from sliding off? Do you have a parts diagram you can refer to or dig up online?
If you got the make/model handy maybe someone can come up with more info also.

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-YooperJD60 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:05:05 01/10/19) It also has a keyway...does this sound right? When the shear pin breaks then the PTO shaft keeps spinning or flys off and I also lose the keyway

Sounds like your shaft is too long.

You need to post some pics of this, I do not think you are looking at a shear bolt.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A shear bolt would NOT have a keyway in shaft as that would defeat the reason for the shear bolt, A shear bolt would shear from turning and a key would not let it do that. You have to be having a push-pull problrm rather than a rotation problem.

YooperJD60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no idea what the make/model is....I'm going to be working on it tomorrow..I'll take some pictures.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would drill a new 1/4" hole. A 5/16" shear bolt might not shear easily enough to protect the rest of the machine.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any PTO driven device will shear pins if the pins do not fit properly in the hole designated for the pin. Others have it right, drill both pieces of the PTO shaft to uniform diameter and put in a pin that fits.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: PTO driven snowblower keeps shearing pins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a keyway in both the shaft and the yoke? Do you have a key in there? Usually there's a set screw to keep the key in place.

My sprayer has a 5/16" bolt which holds the yoke on the pump. There is also a set screw. Every once in a while the bolt disappears. It has done this since day one, when I bought it new.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters