Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

FB scams

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw a new scam today, a cheap dump trailer on FB marketplace. I messaged the poster, who gave me a speil about helping his neighbor sell it and gave me an email address. I emailed thru Gmail and got the whole widow/soon to be deployed/in a rush to sell blah blah blah. Funny thing is the original FB poster has a normal profile and has been a member for a number of years with many family posts, etc....

grizz02
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what they do is steal the good guys account number then post under his name , google craigslist scams there's a bunch

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't understand why anybody lets facebook use them.
Stupid place to be on the computer.

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Richard G. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:31:29 01/10/19) Don't understand why anybody lets facebook use them.
Stupid place to be on the computer.

Well, I belong to a free auction group for Allis Chalmers and Agco...sold over $6000 in parts the last month with no fees. It is a target group and better than Ebay!

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-grizz02 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:26:51 01/10/19) what they do is steal the good guys account number then post under his name , google craigslist scams there's a bunch

Usually when they hack an account there is little to no information in their profile, this guy had lots of friends and pictures.....looked like a legitimate acct to me.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eldon do you know how easy it is to get a bunch of friends on FB. I have an account. Don't know why. My ids talked me into it. Heck of a thing for an anti social person to be on a social media page ain't it? Anyway I bet I look at FB once or twice a month. Get a bunch of friends request everyday that I never respond to. I could have 1000s of FB friends if I wanted. Make a few posts about what I'm doing and it looks legit.

Heck man there are scams everywhere.

Rick

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oldtanker wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:48:58 01/10/19) Eldon do you know how easy it is to get a bunch of friends on FB. I have an account. Don't know why. My ids talked me into it. Heck of a thing for an anti social person to be on a social media page ain't it? Anyway I bet I look at FB once or twice a month. Get a bunch of friends request everyday that I never respond to. I could have 1000s of FB friends if I wanted. Make a few posts about what I'm doing and it looks legit.

Heck man there are scams everywhere.

Rick

You are quite the expert on something you never use...gotta love people like you that have to comment on everything, even when they are clueless....

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a FB account for a while.....for the times when I needed to access a page, but couldn't because there was no non-FB access.

Earlier this year, someone mentioned to me about a close-to-me threshing show that I didn't know about. Problem was, the threshing show only has a facebook account -- no website. And I couldn't get any info about the show without first signing up. So, I gave a fictitious name, but a real email. Recently, FB shut down my account and said if I wanted to make a new account, I would have to provide actual information. Their list of demanded information was OBSCENE, to say the least!! No way in hell I'll ever have anything to do with that mess again!

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:39:21 01/10/19) I had a FB account for a while.....for the times when I needed to access a page, but couldn't because there was no non-FB access.

Earlier this year, someone mentioned to me about a close-to-me threshing show that I didn't know about. Problem was, the threshing show only has a facebook account -- no website. And I couldn't get any info about the show without first signing up. So, I gave a fictitious name, but a real email. Recently, FB shut down my account and said if I wanted to make a new account, I would have to provide actual information. Their list of demanded information was OBSCENE, to say the least!! No way in hell I'll ever have anything to do with that mess again!

I joined FB way back when I started selling produce. What a neat way to connect with customers, we posted daily specials, what was available that day, if we had a change of hours, etc. It was real time info and our customer base took off because of it. We did zero print advertising...saving us a lot of money. An occasional free CL ad would point even more customers to our FB business page.

In the meantime I came in touch with people I hadn't seen or heard from in years as well as a better connection with my distant family members and tractor buddies from the forums who also had accounts. Now I am a member of closed groups that cater to my interests, including the auction group.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I guess I must have signed up at the right time.

RusselAZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one? Just perked my ear up tonight the first time I saw it.
dump trailer

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RusselAZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:09:32 01/11/19) This one? Just perked my ear up tonight the first time I saw it.
dump trailer

Actually that one may be legit...the trailer doesn't look all that great. The trailer in the ad I saw was like new, 14k dump, name brand for around $1200. The only question I had was "where can I look at this" and neither response said a word about where it was. Both times I saw the ad it was gone within minutes.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suspect it goes a little deeper than that. You're active on FB. As I mentioned, I signed up to get info about a threshing show. I had logged in about once every other month, and spent just minutes on there. So, they got no info out of me. I didn't try to visit any questionable sites, didn't try to look up folks....just simply looking for a bit of legit info now and then.

But that's not what these sites want. Google, for example, wants to track people on all of the Google sites, Youtube included. Many sites that are not associated with Google use a Google counter, which also gives them tracking information.

For those of us who prefer not to air out all our info, these data-mining companies don't like us. For the folks who are active, they (FB) get information and, therefore, you get a pleasant experience. Google doesn't have to worry about whether you 'want' to provide info or not -- they can get it anyway. FB can't. So they have (I suppose) had to take a more direct approach.....provide info, or else!

What info, you ask? Contact info (yours and others), news info, activities info....you name it. This is the Information Age. Seems nothing is private anymore. I would guess that most of it is geared towards commercial advertising, but that's just a guess. In this world, who knows?

To explain a bit more about what I mean, here's a short video. Happened upon this today. Goes along with what I've heard other internet wizards tell me, so am fairly certain it's pretty accurate:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oja3UzuuqGQ

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. I have no use for it or any of that junk.

Ron/PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mean face book where folks post about what they ate, where they went, pix of their pets, pix of their meals, gripe about vehicles that won't run, show off new stuff they bought, get in mouth battles and complain about family?

That kind of social media? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: FB scams Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing about YT forum members, none of us spend very much time on Facebook, we just use it for business
or sensible things and information ..... ha! Great spot for a guy with no friends to solve that problem and
feel good ..... works for me !!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters