Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Planted some garden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Planted cabbage, collards, broccoli and cauliflower. Also 150+ onions. May have to cover them a couple nights,but they can handle a bit of a freeze.

Hello from Alabama!

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Late April or even May before we can even think about a garden.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget some garlic. Go to the store and buy a couple of cloves. Break them up and plant maybe 4 inches apart, just make sure you plant the root end down. They are ready to harvest when the greens brown off. Those greens also make great salad greens when chopped up.

Farmall plowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking late June or July the frost ought to be out of the ground here in central Wisconsin, so I got time to watch others work.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks great!!!!

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, We got up to 15F this afternoon with some sun, and it is back down to 6F now. -2F last night. We lit the fireplace today to help out the boiler.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm glad we rarely get that cold. In 30+ years I've lived in Alabama the deepest frost I can recall was a bit under 2 inches. If we do get a week of below freezing temps we can put plastic over the grow beds.

whizkidkyus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandpa Love ,

It must be nice to live that far south that you can plant now . We won't think of planting here in south central Ky. until at least the middle of March at the earliest for the most part. What part of Alabama do you live in ? I take it that by a comment located a little father down the post about the frost and as long as you have lived in Alabama statement that you are not originally from there ? Thanks !

Whizkid

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Born in MD. Folks moved to Central AL when I was 14. Been here every since. We live in Sylacauga, which is in Talladega county. Actually we planted our winter garden late, but it should be good.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandpa love,
Heading to Florida soon. I Hear crappie are biting. I enjoy going through Alabama instead of Georgia. Where in Alabama do you live? I'll honk as I go by. I think I made the trip in late March and stopped off at a roadside produce stand and picked up form large sweet onions. I thought they were better than Validela.
geo

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look up Sylacauga Al. We live real close to where hwy 280 and 231 meet. Lots of folks going to central FL use 280 to miss Atlanta. Stop and visit, biscuits are always good!

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never had much luck with those crops in the spring even though the ag center recommends them.
They do better for me as a fall crop.

About time to get your tomatoes seedlings started also.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Planted some garden Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep! My wife is plotting strategy already!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters