Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super A help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William1984
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

Currently in the process of restoring a 48 SA and hit a small stumbling block. Unable to turn the rear wheels. It did this while completely separated from the engine and front end. Shifter is in neutral, we reassembled the engine but can only turn crank by hand if clutch pedal is down. Can move shifter while pushing in clutch but the movement is erratic and doesn't line up with shifter grid. No movement at all from rear wheels. I've done a bit of homework and am wondering if it could be stuck in 2 gears or if the input shaft is jammed. In either case, or if its something else entirely, i'm not sure how to proceed. Would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be stuck in 2 gear or if it is where it is cold could have water in the transmission and or rear end that is now ice and that will lock one up also

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you lock the brakes? They be rusted to the drum.

Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the top off of the transmission and look inside and look at the shifter rails. You'll find the problem. Post back if you still are
unsure.

Dave

William1984
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dave BN wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:04:35 01/12/19) Take the top off of the transmission and look inside and look at the shifter rails. You'll find the problem. Post back if you still are
unsure.

Dave

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I will try your suggestions/things to look for tonight and i'll follow up. Is there a neutral position the shift rails should be in? (ie all lined up?) Thanks again.

William1984
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the top off of the transmission and look inside and look at the shifter rails. You'll find the problem. Post back if you still are
unsure.

Dave

Update: Rear end had a ton of water in it. Removed all the drain plugs (took me a while to find the final drive plugs) and put heat to the rear end and removed everything. Wheels spin freely now. Only issue i'm still having is the tractor won't find first gear. Goes easily into all the rest. Am going to try taking the transmission cover off and see what we can find.

denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Old pointed out, the ice problem seems to be pretty common around here for YT members in cold climates. Surprising, how strong a block of ice can be. I had an M freeze up (literally) last winter and had to wait until warm weather before I drained a couple of gallons of water out of the differential.

denglish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, I would recommend taking the pans off the final drives. Then you can clean them out and inspect the bull gear. You'll need new gaskets, of course.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super A help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, there are no drains on the final drives. The pans must be removed to get all the old oil out.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters