Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trucking info...shipping containers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey folks.

We are planning a move from the Canadian border to North Carolina and need to move some heavy tools and equipment.

It seems that shipping containers may be the best option for efficiency and security as we make this move.

I estimate what is going to be moved would fit in 2 20' or one 40' container however as this is heavy tools and some serious woodworking equipment I worry that I would exceed the weight limit(?) with one 40' container.

Also options could be buying or leasing the containers (I like the option of unloading them at my leisure) and looking for a local driver to move them with his truck or hiring a company to cover the whole project.

The move is app. 1700 miles one way. Also how important is the weight and balance issue? How much weight is too much for these containers?

Thanks in advance for your time and any answers, opinions or insight on this project.

Brad Buchanan

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it depends on the states your having to go through in wa. state truck and container can gross out at 105.500 lbs about 60,000 lbs of product in most states

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been looking for a container on cracklist they are going for a tad over 3K Sad.... Its possible you could sale it once done with it that's what I would do...

What city are you moving to....

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to look at the weight of a shipping container. I think an empty 20 ft is around 6000# and a 40 ft is around 9000.

Back Forty Bob.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The question may not be so much what the container could hold, but what the empty weight of the truck/
trailer/ container will be. You will also have to factor in the distance between axles / groups. A good ballpark may be 50,000 pounds in the container. With an 80,000 pound gross weight limit.

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will be challenged to find a carrier to move containers like that. Typically containers are filled and emptied at a dock while sitting on a chassis.

I?m still in the process of moving about that distance east west along the border. Three loads on the gooseneck with pickup, and two semi loads later, I think one more semi will get it all.

Your lowest cost option is if you can have everything on pallets/skids so it can be loaded into a box trailer, and have someone to load and unload it. The last load I shipped was like this. Had a couple tractors in the front of the trailer, and the pallets to the rear. Trucking co brought me a trailer to load, then held it for a week to give me time to get back to the new place. Tractor with pallet forks, and a pallet jack took all the small stuff off the back. Then had to run into town to a business with a dock and rolled the tractors out.

Next best is a flatbed/step deck for bigger items. They must be able to be strapped/chained down, but everything can be unloaded from the side.

The weight needs to be evenly spread from front to back. Most trucks can handle at least 40,000 lb. Heading to NC, you will be limited to 80,000 gross for the truck.

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A standard 20' container empty varies between 4600 to about 5000 lbs. as the empty (tare) weight is generally always painted on one of the doors. A standard 40' is about 8200 lbs., the 9'6'' high version is around 8800 lbs. Besides talking to your hauler regarding weight you may want to take into consideration how much you want to spend on the size crane for unloading unless the hauler lets you keep his trailer 'til you're unloaded. When my Dad did a long distance move like that he bought a 40 foot van trailer for a very good price and just hired a truck tractor to pull it. It needs a valid safety inspection to be sure... he later sold it for more than he paid.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how much is too much weight. But I use to pull 20ft. containers out Clark Equipment loaded with pay loader axles and grossed out anywhere from 42,000 to 45,000 Lbs..

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you ever looked into ABF freight long distance moving? They drop a trailer at your place and you load it. When full you call them and they put it in a set of doubles or triples headed to where you are moving and bring trailer to your new home and drop it and you unload it. When empty call them and they pickup empty trailer.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your not going to find any container hauler that can or will "pickup" a loaded container.
None do a ground to ground haul of a half loaded container let alone a "loaded" one.
You would have to load and unload at a port that handles containers with cranes and forklifts that handle them.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Figure all yours costs involved and TIME ! Now then the best method may just be to auction it all off and start "collecting" all over again at the new location !

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point, I had forgot about ABF. Probably one of the OPs best options if they serve the areas he is dealing with.

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

East of the Mississippi river will be truck and container no more than 80,000 so about 50,000 in the container more or less..ABF is your best bet for sure.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you need is a company that will sell you the COEX and drop it at your place, and then take it to a conex rail yard. Railroad it to SC, then have it picked up and trucked to your house. You must have your ducks in a row, because the RR has a time table and they are not waiting for anybody. I have family that will load a trailer on the East cost,ship it to California, load a second trailer and pull it west. He has made a good living with that IH.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucking info...shipping containers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A container to be shipped rail can hold about 40,000 payload. But you will have to load and unload from a chassis or lift it off. We can hall them with up to 30,000 in them if the heavy end is towards the front. We can set them on the ground and pick them up from the ground. We have trouble with overloading on the trailer tandems. I'm sure my company would sell you one and move it. 20' wind, water rodent tight start at about $1800 and 40' start about $2700. I couldn't guess what they might charge to move one that far.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters