Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Good first car idea?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV2000
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to college this fall and since I am going to be driving to college from my house every morning, I am going to need a car. My parents said they will get a third family car that I can use. While I do not have completely authority over what car to get, I do have some input.

My first thought for a car was something smaller and fuel efficient, and some family members own a Subaru, which they really like. For that reason I like the Subaru Outback, it seems big enough to transport my bicycles, kayaks, and other little fun things.

However, two of the things I really like, hunting, and old tractors, would probably benefit from a bigger vehicle, like a pickup. Do you think an F150 could safely haul a 4500 lb farm tractor? It would be practical to get a third family vehicle that can haul stuff since the other two cars my family has are not very good for hauling a tractor (we have an Audi sedan and a Ford Explorer).

John

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With a good tandem axle trailer,in
the south, an F150 will be fine.
We see them all the time hauling
tractors into shows. Trailer
brakes are a must. Bring in the
doom Sayers.......lol .

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4,500 pounds or less should be just fine behind an F-150. If using a bumper hitch type of trailer, you might want to install over-load springs on the rear of the truck.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will do it with good trailer brakes but I would put a Reese hitch on the truck. Attaches to the frame.
I really like my pintle hook set up. It is very strong. Have put many thousands of miles on pulling 4000 to 8000 pound tractors on it.
Richard in NW SC

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since 99% of the mileage you'll being putting on your vehicle will be just driving not hauling for now I'd go with the Outback,figure the mileage difference and save the money you'd be spending on extra gas with a pickup and by the time you get ready to haul your tractor you'll probably have a good down payment on a truck.Where you are located I wouldn't consider anything less than a 3/4 ton to tow anything and it won't cost you anymore than a 1/2 pickup most likely.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the car to drive to school, and if you need to
move your tractor, hire it done. If you get a truck just
so you can haul a old tractor around, you will also
need a trailer, extra tags for the trailer and possibly
more insurance. How often do you expect to need
to haul a tractor? And how much extra gas are you
going to need to drive a truck vs a car going to and
from school? Answer these questions honestly, and
the choice will be obvious. I always tried to tell my
own 3 boys, that there is a difference between
wants and needs

steve_in_mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd recommend the Subaru. You probably won't be hauling tractors around until you graduate and start making some money of your
own. The Outback is an excellent vehicle, and with the savings from good fuel mileage and reliability, you will be ahead. You can
buy the pickup truck when you need it.

TomA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toyota

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, nobody can say you're a young fella without any interests. From your posts I
suggest that you might be piling a bit too much on your plate at this time. Remember
the sign that some buffet restaurants would often post in the area where you picked up
your plate before moving through the food line? Something like: "Take what you want
.... but eat what you take". For the vehicle, I would suggest staying small so a
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic are good choices. And don't listen to anyone that tells
you domestic autos/trucks are cheaper to work on. Everything is expensive to work on
these days unless you can do everything yourself. Parts might be cheaper for older
American made stuff but not for anything recent. Just my two cents ... I forgot to
ask, how far is school from your home?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many miles a day ? Don't overlook the Subaru Forester. But I'd be careful with the years they had oil burning engines recall ! My sister had one of that year. I forget what year though ? might of been a 2013 ? She traded up 3 years to the same thing but with a CVT auto tranny now which gets WAY better gas mileage than the manual transmission ! Rest of our family has several ? Honda CRV's they have been good too. Lots of F150 around with just one person cruising around in them. Gas mileage is to be up on the smaller trucks now ? But lots of them of different years have serious RUST issues and engine issues.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can;t believe people actually recommend these jap pieces of crap.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a quote from JD POWERS ON Subaru Outback " feeling underpowered and wheezy" > Who wants to drive Underpowered and wheezy?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had my fill of so called "American" cars ! Especially GM. Nothing but non stop repairs !
Some of the best most trouble free items I have were made in Japan. My old Pulsar watch is one. Timex were JUNK, the John Deere 750 compact tractor is another. Made by Yanmar in Japan absolutely trouble free. Our home "fleet" of cars is mostly Honda's. Way less issues than others we had from the "big three". Now many of the Foreign car makers have plants in the USA or Mexico.
I don't think the quality is as good as the ones made in Japan though. I don't know why but that is the way it seems to be. I often joke that over here if you "f" up your job you are promoted to a manager ! over there you get the firing squad ! LOL.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well keeping in mind that you are young and the young are more likely to be involved in accidents bigger is better. Remember those safety ratings? You are not comparing apples to apples......that rating is "in it's size class". Great if you are going to crash an Outback into an Outback. But what happens when you hit an F150 with that Outback? While milage can be important safety is important too.

And I know someone will mention the "Smart Car" that seems indestructible. Sure the passenger cage remains intact. But the human body inside is also traveling the same speed. They are taking bodies out of those cars that are fine for the funeral. But the human body can't take the forces of traveling 40-50-60 MPH and coming to a sudden stop. At freeway speeds (70 or so) that translates into 400 G's of force. Some interesting Youtube stuff on this.

Whatever you do, good luck and be safe!

Rick

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I fixed a Subaru once that had been in a fender bender.

The sheet metal in the fender was so thin I couldn't use regular body tools on it. I finally miked it and it miked something like .014", compared to .032" for a typical Chevy pickup fender. I guess the moral is, if you're driving a Subaru and have a confrontation with a Chevy pickup guess who's going to lose.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters