Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Good first car idea?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You sound a lot like me when I was a young'un.

I tried a few cars, mostly because I was into hot rodding back then.

I soon realized that was not practical for daily transportation, went through a few more cars, because they were free and I could make them run.

But it wasn't long I realized there were a lot of things I wanted to do that involved needing a truck, which I could use one of my dads trucks, if available.

Once I got my first truck I never went back.

My vote is go with the truck. You'll soon be glad you did. And, look at all the sudden friends you'll make in college when someone needs furniture moved!

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, I'm not fussy about ketchup on my fries but most people use it. Meanwhile though, you can Google all day about the most reliable cars on the road and most will be very similar to this article below which is from a pretty reliable source itself as well as the research outfit who made up the list. Once again though, you can still call it Fake News. Here ya go, interesting stuff ....
Most reliable cars .....

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, I would think an F-150 would haul that tractor no problem, but then I don't know what hills you have there.

I used to have a 1986 Dodge Ram 50. Was a small truck made by Mitsubishi with a Dodge label. I hauled a Ferguson TO-30 tractor with rotary brush cutter on a 5,000lb. lowboy trailer from Dallas, Tx to almost Houston, Tx. on I-45. That was a long time ago and I sure as heck wouldn't try that these days(!!!!!!!!!!), but the truck did the job with its little 2.0L engine and manual trans. I was usually able to maintain 40 to 45 MPH -- thank God there wasn't a head wind.

Before that I had a 1976 F-150 with 390 and auto. Would have much preferred that truck to the little "Dodge-with-a-funny-accent". *lol*

By the way, my trailer was manufactured before trailer brakes were required in Texas. Shocked If it hadn't been flat ground the whole way, I couldn't have made it without a full-size truck. More modern versions have greater haul capacity than my old 1976 F-150 did. Check the specs on your potential pullers. Also, have it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic you trust. Lots of people say don't worry about changing trans fluid (if an automatic), but might be worth considering.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Crazy Horse wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:16:35 01/12/19) Well, I guess we are all entitled to our opinions, I'm not fussy about ketchup on my fries but most people use it. Meanwhile though, you can Google all day about the most reliable cars on the road and most will be very similar to this article below which is from a pretty reliable source itself as well as the research outfit who made up the list. Once again though, you can still call it Fake News. Here ya go, interesting stuff ....
Most reliable cars .....

OK, not calling it fake news but that really doesn't tell me anything. It only covers one year of operation. JD Powers looks at 3 years operations and allows you to look up older vehicle ratings. Kinda hand when buying a used vehicle.

https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings/Dependability?cid=depe_jdp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvebhBRD5ARIsAIQUmnk1t1J5LnRegyaJfrsgeOK9ePuGYbG3-Cr2bbgMMgvbNDZ7LJrkSFMaAvp_EALw_wcB

A few years back my some showed me a sight that you could rate your vehicle. You had to have a valid VIN that wasn't yet rated to rate your vehicle. It was amazing how many people rated their vehicle at 4 1/2 to 5 stars at the end of the first year of ownership. Then the same vehicle would drop and at the end of the 2nd year would only have 2 or 2 1/2 stars. That's to show that you really can't rate a 1 year old vehicle as it doesn't allow the vehicle to get enough miles to really know anything. Average driver puts on about 12,000 miles a year.

Rick

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An F150 with trailer brakes will work fine for your H, get it with 4WD.

grizz02
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like that hitch has a little drupe to it LOL😵😵😵😵

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well one reason is cars like the my wife's Toyota Corolla 250,000 miles very few repairs,gets 30+ MPG and still runs and drives great.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you plan to commute about 30 miles one way for the first two years of school? That would be 9,000 to 10,000 miles each year just in commuting. Figure a full size pickup will cost twice as much to drive as a mid-sized car. Where will you really need to haul your tractor, maybe to a mechanic if it needs major work done? $0.50 to $1.00 per mile to drive a pickup can add up fast. You could easily skip the tractor hauler by hiring someone to haul your tractor the few times that will be needed and go with a commuter car.

Take a good look at your college catalog of your engineering classes. Your freshman year won't be too bad with the basic fluff classes like: calculus; chemistry; physics; English composition; micro and macro economics; engineering economics; Computer Aided Design, and maybe differential equations, but your sophomore, junior and senior year classes will be harder and more specialized. Most engineering students don't have a lot of extra time or money for hobbies until they finish school.

Your summer internships and your first job after school will probably be several states away from home. I wouldn't stick a lot of money or time into expensive hobbies until you get through school.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If not hauling, my vote for most economical most reliable would be a toyota corolla.

JohnV2000
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone!

Good point about gas money, if I’m driving 30 miles a day to college and back, a smaller car will save a lot of money over a pickup.

My parents do not want another sedan, and they want something that is big enough to go on a trip with comfortable in case they want to use my car to go somewhere. That is why my parents said a Subaru Outback or something around that size instead of something smaller like a Honda Civic. Also, for things like kayaks and bikes, a slightly larger car would be nice.

In the size range of a Subaru Outback, what are some good options?

docmirror
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 2014 both my kids graduated college. I bought them each one of these:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2012-toyota-prius-c-review/

They love em! Both still have the cars, getting close to 100k miles already and absolutely zero trouble. Gas, tires, oil, wipers. Cost per mile is almost nothing.

After they graduated, within a year both bought used Dodge trucks. Most miles are on the Prius C, and when they need to haul, they use the truck. Worked perfect so far.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing to think of is comfort and how you fit in it. I have no idea if you are 5'1" tall or 6'8" tall and 110# or 350# so what can be comfortable if you are the smaller size you would have to shoehorn your self in if you are the larger sise, Had a friend that weighed 400+# and showhorned himself into a Tiny small foren car, forget the make. I am about 5'5" and about 200# with a 28" pant inseam. My lady friend has a 5 year old Chevy of one of the popular models And I can hardly get my legs to bend up enough to get in it and then as short as I am I can hardly bend down enough to get my head in the door. So first thing is how do you fit in it? Then do you set in a comfortabl position? I have had cars that were comfortable to fit in and drive and others of full size that were not big enough in ways for me that were way to uncomfortable to drive, My Ford totous I hit the windshield with my head, the full size Buick I could hardly get my lrgs in the door. The Ford Windstar van was way uncomfortablr to drive, but my Dodge Caravans were very comfortable to drive. Then think about if in a car you set a lot lower than in a van or truck and setting lower like that even small hills you cannot see over to see if road is clear or if it makes a sharp turn, the higher setting vehical you can see better with. Something the size and shape of that vancould be better for you in what you would like to do and haul than either a car, low seating SUV or a pickup. But then if you are short a taller vehical like a truck you might have trouble getting in. so first consideration is not make or model but how do you fit in it? More inportant than gas milage but that is still important with trips like you are going to have to do. Them living where you are you have to consider snow and road conditions so you do not get stuck on trip to school. Not going to recomend a make or model. Just find something you are comfortable in and with and go from there. Friend just got out his old Surban with the 454 engine and reworked it after setting 10 years to be his daily driver and he racks up a lot of miles. So first it how do you fit in it and then comfortale to you, then will it do some or all the jobs you want it to do? After that comes make and model and year. A vehickle that someone that thinks is ideal vehical if you are tall it could be a nightmare.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That hitch is one that Dodge put on after the original was recalled.
It has always had that droop to it.

JohnV2000
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point about height. I’m 6 foot tall, and I weight about 160 pounds. I am a pretty standard size person, if there is such a thing, and I have not really notice any cars I’ve been in being too small or too big.

Something a Prius gets good mileage, I am sure, but my parents really want to get a car that will be like the third family car that will be almost mine exclusively. Because of that, they want something that could comfortably drive 4 people on a trip and bring luggage, bikes, kayak, etc.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good first car idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All you guys and yer gas mileage. 2 small cars colliding compared to 2 large cars, you have an 8 times greater chance of dying and 10 time greater chance of serious injury. Small car VS a large vehicle, 10 time great chance of dying. Just saying. I know no one plans on a accident, that's why they call em accidents. Just takes one drunk or someone trying to drive and text. We can put that on yer tombstones........got good mileage!

Rick

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters