Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trator backfiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
resden
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What should be a plan of attack to stop a tractor from backfiring through the carburetor?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give us a little more info!

Does it start and run?

When does it "backfire"?

All the time?

While attempting to start?

At idle?

While accelerating?

While at WOT?

Only when under load?

Or?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What tractor since that can make a difference at times. That can be as simple as the carb set/running to lean. Or a timing issue or a valve issue. Timing to advanced can cause that as will a valve that does not close up all the way due to carbon build up or sticking or tappet set to tight

warren woodrow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These guys know more than I but my experience is : timing off, sticky valve,and believe it or not a bad ground connection from battery to ground .
Still have not figured out why corroded ground cable caused it .

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When did this start?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the compression. then report the readings FIRST THING to do on any engine. and the most neglected.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How can you make that statement without knowing the conditions of the backfire?

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:28:32 01/12/19) What tractor since that can make a difference at times. That can be as simple as the carb set/running to lean. Or a timing issue or a valve issue. Timing to advanced can cause that as will a valve that does not close up all the way due to carbon build up or sticking or tappet set to tight

Don't forget 2 crossed wires or a cracked cap.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you asking me? what statement? it is obviously a valve or valve train problem, so naturally a compression check is the first thing to do. that gives you the engines condition. even when spark plugs are changed good idea to run a compression check . no where did it say it was done and from reading this it just started to backfire. cant see wires changing cyl's by them self. problem is a person has to read between the lines lots of times because of little info given. compression checking and reading spark plugs gives lots of info.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:11:03 01/12/19) you asking me? what statement? it is obviously a valve or valve train problem, so naturally a compression check is the first thing to do. that gives you the engines condition. even when spark plugs are changed good idea to run a compression check . no where did it say it was done and from reading this it just started to backfire. cant see wires changing cyl's by them self. problem is a person has to read between the lines lots of times because of little info given. compression checking and reading spark plugs gives lots of info.

" problem is a person has to read between the lines lots of times because of little info given. "

Actually, there's another option, to do as I did and request more info, and wait for the O.P. to provide it.

We don't have (well, SOME of us at least) crystal balls and we're not paid to GUESS blindly!

resden
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry guys! Although I am a Farmall guy, this tractor is an Allis D19 gas. Engine was overhauled less than 50 hours ago.
Compression is 160 psi on all 6 cylinders, carb has been cleaned with a new kit, new plugs,wires,points,condensor, coil. Fuel
system has been cleaned and have good fuel flow to carb. Tractor sat in a shed and was not run for three years prior to me getting
it. Can only get it to start with full choke but then it misses, smokes, backfires, and stalls and will stop as soon as the choke
is released. Occasionally, it will run nice for 15 seconds which puzzles me. Gut is telling me to recheck ignition system, check
manifold gasket, etc. But thought you guys might have some other ideas!

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-resden wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:42:25 01/13/19) Sorry guys! Although I am a Farmall guy, this tractor is an Allis D19 gas.

Not sure what this means as they all work the same way.

It sounds like you did not do the carb right or it would not need full choke to run.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-resden wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:42:25 01/13/19) Sorry guys! Although I am a Farmall guy, this tractor is an Allis D19 gas. Engine was overhauled less than 50 hours ago.
Compression is 160 psi on all 6 cylinders, carb has been cleaned with a new kit, new plugs,wires,points,condensor, coil. Fuel
system has been cleaned and have good fuel flow to carb. Tractor sat in a shed and was not run for three years prior to me getting
it. Can only get it to start with full choke but then it misses, smokes, backfires, and stalls and will stop as soon as the choke
is released. Occasionally, it will run nice for 15 seconds which puzzles me. Gut is telling me to recheck ignition system, check
manifold gasket, etc. But thought you guys might have some other ideas!

If the tractor sat for 3 years, most likely the carburetor needs a good cleaning. Fuel problems and ignition problems will quite often mimic each other. Makes no difference if it is Allis-Chalmers or Farmall.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

still unclear if you recently did this work or the tractor has sat for 3 years with that work done to it before it was parked??? do you know if it ran good before parking it?if it sat that long then the carb still will need a cleaning if it had gas sit in it. also the points will need a cleaning and check the gap. also the intake valve clearance is only .012 so I would be running a valve adjustment check also. that is a tight clearance and with the unexperienced guys can have two people with different settings doing the same adjustment. which means with a tight valve she wont run right. and have you checked the firing order (153624).also the distributor cap my have a crack,also this backfire your talking about is that through the carburetor? is it a backfire or an engine miss? an engine is an engine and when set to specification's they run pretty darn good with fuel and air and spark.

F-Dean
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trator backfiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the order and direction of the spark plug wires - clockwise vs counter-clockwise.
The correct order but in the wrong direction will cause 2 cylinders to fire at the correct time and 2 to backfire.
Yes, this is from experience!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters