Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4 1/2 grinder

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HNM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for a good 120 volt 4 1/2" grinder with paddle switch.What have you had good luck with.Thanks for your input. Neil

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makita.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love my Dewalt.

jniolon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-HNM wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:51:41 01/12/19) Looking for a good 120 volt 4 1/2" grinder with paddle switch.What have you had good luck with.Thanks for your input. Neil

I've got metabo and milwaukee... no problem with either

john

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a DeWalt for a few years and it does a good job. I got a Harbor Freight one that ran for an hour or two total and recently died, and even before it died I broke the lock so it was very hard to change discs. I had read somewhere that they were just as good, and while it was 1/4 of the price it was worth even less than I paid.
Zach

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Makita and a Dewalt. Replaced the brushes in the Makita. Both work well, though neither one has a paddle switch.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got three of the harbor freight grinders I've been using for many years. I believe they were only about ten bucks so you can't beat that. They don't have a paddle switch though. They have a slide switch that works easily.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Porter Cable with paddle switch. Won't ever get another Porter Cable like that! Tool works well, but the switch is so awkward to engage that without the guard on, makes the grinder dangerous to use when trying to start one-handed. ...You can't always have both hands available.

Does anyone make a soft-start model?

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A whole drawer full of em. One for each grind brush wheel flap or cutoff ect ect
nothing exceptional about any except the cheapies from harbor are louder and just cheap

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a DeWalt. The paddle switch has a safety that makes it a little awkward with gloves on. I had one at work that the safety was gone and nearly got bit a few times, or it takes off when I set it down. Glad it's there.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 4 total, a Metabo, Ryobi, B&D, and a $15 one from NT, and I know one has a paddle switch. One time I was cutting some bolts or something in a hurry, standing up, and I needed both hands, I stuck the grinder under my arm to hold it and it started! I must of had on a heavy jacket, because I didn't hurt myself.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had 5 inch Metabo's at work and they has a soft start, also a soft stop! Just when you really got to grinding, it would stop.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello HNM,

MAKITA is my pick. They make more then 30 grinders. 10 amps for lots of HP. Excellentt sealing from dust, quickly stop models, pick one. I have one that was used(ABUSED), in a welding shop FOR YEARS! a new set of brushes and good as new,

Guido.

1948CaseVAI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harbor Freight. I buy 6 at a time on sale and throw them away when they go TU. Very cost effective.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 1/2 grinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makita I found new and cheap on Ebay.

Been running strong for years, I'll buy another when it's gone.

I used to like Milwaukee until they sold out to China, you know the rest of the story...

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters