Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rest-O-Ride Three-fer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't think I'd be able to salvage all three, but I did.
The third one, in the back, is waiting on springs. They're on back order.

Anyone want to buy a very expensive seat?
I'd love to sell one of these for "only" what parts cost for the three! LOL

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking good Lawson!!

You could add another shingle below you carb rebuilding service sign to include Rest-O-Ride seat reviver Smile

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, but I don't think that would be an endeavor most
people would want to pay for. As you know, they're a lot of work.

I see "rebuilt" ones advertised for sale for $350 each.
They look to have bare metal bars, new bushings and new springs.
The seat pan, frame, etc are all still in their original condition.
If I could bring myself to do that kind of work, I might make
money at it but I like to sleep at night. Cool

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These were the worst set of bars. Not only were they bent, but
this is the set that a previous owner had welded together.
I put them in the press and straightened them, then found out
that they were also twisted. That was a bit more challenging but
I got them all straightened out, welded them up and ground them
down just like I had to do with the rest of them. Time consuming.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks great.

Where did you get the torsion springs?

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm replying a second time Dean as I see my first response was not
allowed on modern view. The first set of springs came from YT.
The second set came from eBay. The third set I'm still waiting on.
The two sets I've received seem to be the same. Same packaging,
same fitment, same strength, etc. No problems with them so far.
I'll have see how the ride is and how they last.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Though it has been 10 years or so and things may have changed, the last set of torsion springs that I bought from other than Minn-Kota (NLA) lasted less than a year with very little use.

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too bad Minn-Kota is no longer in business. If you're spending
that much on them, a little more for better quality seems in order.

michford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royce, nice job on the seats. I have three of them that I will have to repair someday. How difficult are the seats to disassemble?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Disassembly depends upon condition.

Properly overhauling a R-O-R seat is a time consuming process. The first will take about twice as long as the second and third, all else equal.

Dean

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice work, Royse! I know STENER TRACTOR sells the rubber torsion springs, and truly believe there is but only one manufacturer of them and everybody buys from them. It's the same for all N specialty items too like the 4-spoke steering wheel and aluminum grille. The market simply doesn't warrant competitive companies. Funny you mentioned the old MINN-KOTA steering wheel restoration business, now defunct. I just posted on the NTC board about them. I have a friend looking to restore ones for his vintage cars. Back in 2003 when I restored my early 8N, I sought out MINN-KOTA for a quote on my badly worn out steering wheel. Their pricing was, shall we say, not in my budget. Being a specialty house, and having exuberant costs, plus not having a huge list of clientele, is probably what caused their demise. I haven't tried to locate another shop yet for my friend so told him to search on-line and ask the car club people. I have an original R-O-R seat base unrestored I bought years ago from John Smith. It still sets in the wood box he shipped it in. I had intentions of buying '56 860 tractor and using it on it but never found a '56 Model to buy. You probably already know this part, but the R-O-R was an OEM part beginning with the 800 Series models anyway. Introduced earlier as an NAA optional accessory, you only got the base, painted 8N Medium Grey by the way, and were instructed to remove your OEM pan seat and install it on the base. Later as OEM parts, the seat was a complete unit. I'd probably part with my OEM base if someone was interested.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to agree with everything Dean said.
One of these had been welded together. It was a pain to get apart.
The other two weren't so bad, a few roll pins and two bolts.
The roll pins can be a bear to get out at times.

Nebraska Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Royse"](reply to post at 15:32:01 01/13/19) [/quote

I've done 6 over the last 2 years, agree, very time consuming and can be frustrating at times. I sourced the bushings and springs from Korves Oliver parts. Oliver's seats seem to use the same parts. Just like Royse, I had to weld up all the worn h-bars, straighten some , and then take the twist out of some.

It is a winter project for me and based on how bad the seat was worn, very time consuming. Worst part for me is getting the torsion springs off the h-bars. Usually takes some heat, Gibbs penetrating oil and the shop press.]

born2farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest-O-Ride Three-fer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Email me the price for one.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters