Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 4500

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The filter by your left foot is for the transmission/torque converter CNH part number 84489642. My 1971 Ford 4500 TLB a work in progress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLHaHsdawM I'm working on the loader, and backhoe parts on it now. Evidently they didn't know what a grease gun is used for. I also swapped out the 4x4 shuttle for a regular 6x2 manual transmission since it's going to be used on the farm (plus I didn't want to mess with the 4x4 transmission problems).

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The backhoe is a model 755. I still haven’t found the where the hydraulic filter is or where to check. The only plug that I found was on the rear axle right hand side. Where ever the tractor was was leaking hydraulic fluid, the person pumped the fluid back into the transmission. I ordered the fuel filter housing for the tractor today.

Don’t know where the hydraulic dipstick or filter is.

Full plug on the side of the rear axle.

Part of the pump that was putting the leaking hydraulic fluid back in.

Backhoe model.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are two different hydraulic systems on that tractor if it has the 3 point lift.

The sump for the 3 point lift, if it has it, is inside the rear axle center housing just like the 3 cylinder ag tractors of the same time period. Since it does not have a PTO, if it does have the 3 point lift then the pump for the 3 point hydraulics is on the left side of the engine back near the flywheel and the filters are inside the rear axle center housing.

The hydraulics for the loader and backhoe uses the pump on the front of the tractor that is driven by a shaft from the crankshaft pulley. The reservoir for the loader & backhoe hydraulics is up in the nose of the tractor above the radiator. The fill cap and dipstick for that reservoir is under a door in the sheet metal at the top of the nose cone. The filter for the loader & backhoe hydraulics is inside that reservoir up above the radiator.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you open the hood (engine cover half) which covers a tab of the hydraulic access cover door (in front of the radiator), lift and tilt the door/cover forward. Everything is
under the cover.

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JF in MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:14:59 01/14/19) If you open the hood (engine cover half) which covers a tab of the hydraulic access cover door (in front of the radiator), lift and tilt the door/cover forward. Everything is
under the cover.

Thank you, found the cover. I take it where the finger is pointing to is the filters and the nut on the left is where you fill it? If so, if I was to take it off, it would show the level (no dipstick, but a line on the side of the tank.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
hank you, found the cover. I take it where the finger is pointing to is the filters and the nut on the left is where you fill it? If so, if I was to take it off, it would show the level (no dipstick, but a line on the side of the tank.

Nope, you've got them backwards. The smaller round cap that you took apart is the breather and dipstick. You should have just pulled it out rather than taking it apart. The other nut with the larger circle around it is where the filter is located. Here's a link to the parts diagram. group of parts labelled 83 is the breather and indicator (dipstick) and the parts labelled 75 is the filter housing, and 72 is the actual filter:

4500 hydraulic system parts diagram

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How would you fill it? Take out the filter or use the dipstick hole?

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dipstick hole and funnel.

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:50:14 01/15/19)

Sounds like fun. I’m guessing it takes at least 10 gallons when the whole system is empty? Where would the drain plug be? I didn’t see it on NH parts diagram

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No harder than filling the axle or trans once you pull the rest of the breather/dipstick out of the fill hole.
Drain the tank by removing the suction hose from the pump, drain the loader frames by removing the cross over pipe near the rear.
There may be drain plugs in the loader frames but I never looked for them.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mikewood869 wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:59:37 01/15/19)
Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:50:14 01/15/19)

Sounds like fun. I’m guessing it takes at least 10 gallons when the whole system is empty? Where would the drain plug be? I didn’t see it on NH parts diagram

I believe that the drain plug is the part labelled 70 in the drawing. At the bottom of the reservoir facing toward the rear of the tractor.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is also drain plugs on the loader frames.

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, finally found the page for the plugs in the book. Another question is, would a duel fuel filter setup work in a distributor injection pump?

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to say the fuel filter setup would be from a ford 3500

mikewood869
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4500 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never mind on the filter I guess, found the single filter outside.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters