Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Engine Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymondy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This has probably been asked but after searching I couldn?t find anything on it. Will a 5020 engine fit in to a 4020 housing? Frame rails different? Engine length different? Has anyone done this before. Currently have a 4020 with a gas and wanted to bump the HP/torque on it. I attached a picture of the 5020 engine tag.

Thanks,

-Raymond

D-
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't fit but a 466 will.

tlock0331
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no, it wont, not without a LOT of money and machining. the 5020 series engine is different than the 4020 series.

but my bigger question is, that block is yellow, what did that engine come out of? 5020's didnt have industrial yellow paint. surely it wasnt a 700. Thats a much more important question....

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

. A Siamese port 466 with a turbo will make more power than any 531 .

raymondy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for not knowing but, what would I grab one of these out of? A
combine transplant?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If TimS chimes in. There isn't anything about swapping motors into 4020's that he doesn't know about .
I haven't tried the new online parts books at the JD web site. The old site used to cross reference every machine that a known part number was used in.
What are the plans for this 4020 and is it an early or late model ?

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Salvage yard is best source. Many have been done and there are ways to save time and money.Tim S. would be an expert source.I have been told a 105 404 combine engine is a match but have seen some with 466s that were nicely done.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:43:28 01/19/19) . A Siamese port 466 with a turbo will make more power than any 531 .

b&d
May I ask which JD 466 cid engines have Siamese port cyl. heads? Thanks,Jim

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:48:40 01/20/19)
buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:43:28 01/19/19) . A Siamese port 466 with a turbo will make more power than any 531 .

b&d
May I ask which JD 466 cid engines have Siamese port cyl. heads? Thanks,Jim

55 series iirc . I should look at that parts book instead of my memory.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess that's the reason 55 series rowcrop tractor engines are identified a 6076 engines instead of 466 cid although they are 466 cid

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Siamese port cyl. head" would be a way of describing a latter 466 head,4455's and up, where the intake ports share the same opening instead of being divided in the middle.They also have a larger opening in the intake manifold for better air flow.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters