Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am putting in a new transmission clutch on a Ford 850. I also removed the flywheel to make sure that there was nothing leaking behind the flywheel. Transmission input-shaft seal was leaking also.
I figured that is long as I had the flywheel off, I would mark the the timing marks with a yellow marking pencil. I wire-wheeled the flywheel and I cannot find any timing marks anyplace on that wheel. I had another flywheel from a 821 and it has the marks showing good. The flywheel from the 850 is a lot thinner than the one from the 821 with a 4 speed transmission. Anybody ever see something like that. The only evidence of any marks a very small notch on the side of the flywheel.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never seen one without timing marks but they are sometimes quite difficult to find.

Dean

sunbeam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could always do the old hot rod trick with a piston stop

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are very hard to find. They are little more than faint scratches.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would put engine on TDC and look closely,.

WayneIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have been around these Fords for 60+ years and have always found the marks, awful faint once in a while ,of course there is always a first time for everything.

KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buffed the flywheel again this morning with a good wire-wheel and still no marks so I installed the flywheel. I turned the engine to fire on #1. The only mark that I found on the flywheel was right on. I gave it another coat of yellow marker and told myself that will have to do.

fredstev
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No Timing Marks On A Ford 850 Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forget what tractor my uncle had, but he had to replace the clutch and pressure plate years ago. It also had scored the flywheel badly enough to need resurfacing. Took it to a machine shop and they used a surface grinder. When we went to pick it up, they proudly announced that they had "trued the back also". Sure did, when I pointed out the timing marks were now gone, you should have seen the stricken look on his face. Worked out ok, though, we hadn't moved the engine, and the flywheel only went on one way. A little fiddling with a timing light and felt marker and we reestablished where TDC was and (as I recall, 20 deg. BTDC) was.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters