Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

50 JD B Seized While Running

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmoran4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had to unfortunately start and maneuver my 1950 John Deere B in the cold snow this evening (9?F with -3? Windchill). She was hard
starting - needed to be jumped. Finally she got running and after about 15 minutes of idling, she stalled and appeared seized.
Too cold to troubleshoot or do anything so now I'm stewing over the keyboard and wondering how expensive this is going to be...
Appreciate any thoughts on how to methodically approach this.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did it have oil pressure?

bmoran4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couldn't tell ya in all honesty...

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MOST likely cause would be that ice in the oilpump caused the oilpump drive coupling to break.

bmoran4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:00:45 01/22/19) MOST likely cause would be that ice in the oilpump caused the oilpump drive coupling to break.

How would I be able to diagnose the oil pump drive coupling? If I do find it broken, I presume the repair is likely more than just replacing the coupling?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not know on the coupling, but if the engine did seize do to lack of lubrication, it will probably take more than the coupling to get it running again.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will second that you broke the oil pump coupling. Common failure on them in cold weather. You can take the cover off the crankcase and reach in and check the coupler. As for damage. Most of the time you will not ruin the crankshaft or rods at idle. Rock it back and forth with the cover off and see what seized. If your lucky and it is just a rod bearing you can often polish the crankshaft in place. Then install new rod bearings and drive on. Replacing the coupling first. LOL If it is the main bearings than your in for more work.

This happening is one design failure of these tractors. The oil pump is the lowest point in the lubrication system. So any water goes right into the pump gears. Then it freezes and locks the pump. This shears the coupler. If your not watching the oil pressure or the gauge is broken then you have it seize.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are those babbit rods?

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David If it is a 1950 model it should have inserts.

620 John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:59:31 01/21/19) David If it is a 1950 model it should have inserts.

620 John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think 1950 could have had either babbit or inserts. To the op would pull the crankcase cover off and see if the coupler is broken

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After the crankcase cover is off, follow the shaft up, the pump coupler will be at the top of the shaft.

bmoran4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'm relatively new to servicing this John Deere B. I tried to find the dip stick to see if I could get an oil level and look for glitter, but couldn't locate it.

As for removing opening the crank case and inspecting the bearings and coupler, any one have pictures or a diagram?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bmoran4 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:29:37 01/22/19) Thanks guys - I'm relatively new to servicing this John Deere B. I tried to find the dip stick to see if I could get an oil level and look for glitter, but couldn't locate it.

As for removing opening the crank case and inspecting the bearings and coupler, any one have pictures or a diagram?

The oil is checked with an oil level test plug low down on the RH side of the tractor just behind the cylinder block.

You can download the parts catalog, complete with parts drawings (.pdf) at the link below, you'll need to purchase a shop manual if you'll be tearing into it.

Here's a drawing of the oil pump, coupler is Key # 18.

For reference, looking up at the underneath of the tractor, you can see the bottom of the oil pump cover, Key # 32, near the oil filter bottom cover, Key # 15.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/JDPC/attachments.jsp?associatedPc=PC0330.pdf

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 50 JD B Seized While Running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In that case who knows if it even had oil in it ?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters