Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

flood light to thaw out a gas line

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My snowmobile started, and ran fine last weekend. Today, it did not even fire. I believe that it is a gas line problem.
I put a Halogen flood light in my dining room light fixture. The temperature of the light is about 250 to 261 degrees, measured with my Infrared Thermometer. I can put my hand next to the lens without burning myself.
If I remove the guard from a trouble light, install this bulb, how long would it take to warm everything under the hood? It is an air cooled 340 twin and I would cover the hood.
If it works well, my 4 wheeler and my snow blower might get the same treatment.
TY
SDE

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An infrared bulb works better. I would put t in chicken wire or wire fence to prevent it from touching anything. I would also not walk very far away from it while operating. Jim

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not a 60 or 100w bulb in the trouble lite and a blanket or some 'pink' as a cover ?

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is exactly why I asked the question. I would lay it near the exhaust pipes and have it facing the engine. I am not comfortable having it on unattended, But it is going to be -15 tonight and I do not think I want to be standing around by it. The machine is in the end of a lean to with two tractors that I wish to remain red.
TY
SDE

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pull the plugs out put a tiny bit of fuel down each cylinder, heat the plugs with a torch put plugs back in and the pull rope

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As long as you don't break the bulb and create a spark you could warm a open pan of gas with a bulb.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The heat output is a function of the watts the bulb consumes - halogen does not really do anything for you. The bulb does operate at a higher temperature which would be a fire concern for me. I would think a standard 60 - 75 watt bulb with a canvas over the sled would be plenty for the night. The key is to get it covered well.

I have a heated water bowl in the barn for my mousers (cats). The bottom is heated with 1, 15 watt bulb with a diode in the circuit (approximately 8 watts effective). It keeps the water from freezing down to zero and the top of the water is not covered.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-sde wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:47:58 02/08/19) My snowmobile started, and ran fine last weekend. Today, it did not even fire. I believe that it is a gas line problem.
I put a Halogen flood light in my dining room light fixture. The temperature of the light is about 250 to 261 degrees, measured with my Infrared Thermometer. I can put my hand next to the lens without burning myself.
If I remove the guard from a trouble light, install this bulb, how long would it take to warm everything under the hood? It is an air cooled 340 twin and I would cover the hood.
If it works well, my 4 wheeler and my snow blower might get the same treatment.
TY
SDE

A friend buys womens' hair dryers when they are on sale at Wallaby World and uses them to thaw out all sorts of things, cattle waterers, etc..

They are like a miniature forced air heater, and have a couple of heat settings and fan speeds and overheat protection (unlikely to start a fire).

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

snowmobile
need to heat it?
HUH?
snowmobile!
Snow
cold
freezing
just pull the rope
WHEEEEEEEEEE

Fentenetty
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would at the very least pull it out of the shed. I burnt down a very nice two sow furrowing house with one of those inferred bulbs.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30 to 40 pulls without a hit, and I quit.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This morning I had an idea, again. I am going to take a worthless indoor and outdoor thermometer and put the end under the hood, by the carb. and monitor the temp that way.
I was busy this morning in town and had to rest until now.
TY
SDE

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I decided to use my heat gun, instead of a light. About 45 minutes later, it started on the first pull. I do not like how hot the metal end piece gets, but I propped it up under the muffler, with a clevis under it to keep it away from a wire loom.
Now I will try to get my 4 wheeler thawed out.
TY
SDE

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: flood light to thaw out a gas line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was going to suggest a heat gun. I bought mine at HF years ago for a song and it really works when you want lots of localized heat. I have been using it the last few days painting the sheet metal on a tractor. Works great at warming up the tin before painting and getting a quick set on the finished product.....then I set the 250w heat lamp behind it to keep the temp above 60F while curing. I DO use it in conjunction with my HF Non-contact Infrared thermometer that also was purchased for a song as you can really get things hot fast if kept on one spot.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters