Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Radio noise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buzzing in home radio with all lights shut off.

Jaden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Possibly arcing in some other device. Try shutting off breakers(fuses) OR unplugging appliances to see if you can isolate it.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Florescent lights will do that.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Earl-IL wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:13:37 02/14/19) Buzzing in home radio with all lights shut off.

There's all sorts of free music "radio stations" on the internet, if you've got live internet and a 'puter there's no reason to put up with noisy "over the air" music.

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be a problem in the power supply section. Maybe a bad capacitor. Open it up and see if you can see any swelled or leaking capacitors.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes...as Jaden says. Use a little AM portable radio and first thing is try to get as close to the noise source as you can. Then throw off the main breaker and kill ALL power to the house. Did the noise disappear? Kill all of the breakers and throw the main on again. Flip one breaker at a time till you start hearing noise again. You just might have more than one noise source. Mine I traced down to a screwed up transformer on the pole in the street. They had to change it. It was pretty darn old. You might also need to drive a brand new copper grounding rod outside and regrownd you house system. Might even need to get an electrician involved.

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe track it down with a small portable radio.
maybe find a workaround using
your smart phone and itunes
the internet
Call your radio show and complain
Maybe the station has a live feed
your cable offerings
or FM
A new radio
Problems are that most radios and stuff come from china without FCC certs any longer
FCC attention goes to all the wireless devices and making money managing and selling the radio bands that go higher every year g4 g5 802'11 cell towers and satellite. They got little interest in AM radio

Drop by radioshack and ask them for the buzz filter
am radio is not what it was and may get no respect in regards to interferance standards or action
If you get AM radio and you like it and recieve it without siiues have at it
but it is an ever changing world and it does not command the social audience it once did

I many times get to a Dr appointment early I the other day turned on AM in the car and slowly scanned the band. Skip is common 2-3 states away in that dawn hour. I was amazed the overseas radio stations I heard one morning sorta italian language portagese or similar station after station

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's that piece of light chain with a boot on the end of it dangling from the high voltage lines 2 blocks away.
Like that insurance commercial. been there and had that (removed by power co)
track it and fix it
hey call the power co they have a van that can drive around and find electrical noise. (oh that's only in affluent states and counties)

Ralph, Ohio
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30 years ago the most common source of electrical noise in the home was aquarium heater thermostats.

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your absolutely right Bob. I use a $125 refurbished computer from some place in Florida as a radio in my garage.
Internet comes onto the back porch via phone wire, hooks to a little black box with flashing lights on it. The box then sends out radio waves about 40 feet from the house porch to the garage where the waves are picked up by the computer and I can listen to radio stations from all over the country and probably the world if I want to. Wife uses another Florida refurbished computer for any wireless computer work or play she does.

tech4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have mentioned, a small transistor radio may help locate the source. It also may be outside and a check with the car or truck radio may help in locating the source. Also, consider that many computers put out spurious signals that interfere with AM radio. I have problems with my variable speed furnace motor causing interference. Do you have any of the "touch lamps"? The touch lamps put out noise even when off. Pull the plug and it will go away. Light dimmers also cause noise. Door bell transformers can cause problems. Heating pads and electric blankets can also cause a buzzing sound. You may have to cut off circuit breakers one at a time to find the source.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Radio Shack was buried two years ago, so sad.

spacecadet9
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sort of wrong Jeffcat. Rat Shack still has an online presence and we have a local computer store that has picked up a Rat Shack franchise.https://www.radioshack.com/

Concerning the radio interference: As others have stated a portable radio can help localize the source of the interference. Also, listen to your car radio to see if the same noise is present. If not you may have a problem with your radio itself. If it does turn out it's a noisy/failing power line transformer, good luck trying to get the utility company to change it out.

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I will respond if I can find it.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in NJ every single RS store I knew is gone. Pretty close to 15 of them.
Most of the stores are now Mobil phone store. So sad. Down here in south Jersey
there were Ressco, Laufeyette Electronics, Allied, Jacksons, Garden State,
National, General, Midstate, Action, just to name the ones I can remember.
There were a couple of radio shacks I used to almost live at. Can remember
Jackson in Trenton used to be a pretty busy place. Then around 1988 I noticed
their stock was just a tiny bit thin and my sharp ears I caught the secretary
telling her friend that last years she was billing two or three hundred
invoices a week. Now it is not even that much a month. Not even a year later
they were gone. Here in Berlin,NJ there was a regional repair center for RS.
Two of the guys were in the gun club. That got closed maybe ten years ago.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters