Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

stubby adjustable wrench

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Dirt Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do they make a stubby adjustable wrench with the same jaw opening as a standard 12" wrench? Space is limited between block and frame. May have to sacrifice a 12"

Oregon Tractor Jack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All kinds of them out there. Let Google be your friend our just go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of stubbies. They?re cheap enough.

OTJ

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy sets of stubby wrenches. I do not have them but do have a drawer full of "special" wrenches I have cut/modified over the years. Since I am only going to using it a few times I usually find an odd ball/off brand wrench to cut/bend.

I try and buy boxes of odd ball wrenches at sales when they go cheap. I have a set hanging on a peg board for "public" use. Then the extras are the ones modified.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry!!! I just fast read your post. I missed the "adjustable" part. LOL Old timers. I have seen the short handle adjustable wrenches but they all where "off" brands so I am not sure they would work very well. I would just cut one off to the length you need. A new 12 inch Crescent brand wrench is under $15. So not much cost to make one.

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I talked to a customer in Harbor Freight that was buying one of these, he was having the same problem. They don't look very sturdy.
8 inch Adjustable Wrench

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Link didn't work too well. It's the red and black 8-inch 2-in-1 wrench toward the bottom of the web page.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for a crows foot.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of these can get you out of a jam.
Ridgid E110

funky_g00
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite a few manufacturers offer smaller adjustable wrenches with extra wide opening jaws. I think the most unique is a 6 inch wrench with jaws that open to 1 5/16" that is made by Channellock. You can also buy an adjustable crowsfoot that opens to 1 1/8, if you do not want to go the regular crowsfoot method.

Andy C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Snap-On makes them

4play
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cut an adjustable wrench down to make a stubby, usually smack it with a hammer to get things loose/tight. I also have a snap on adjustable wrench that is pretty short, the handle is about the length of your hand. Last, I have an adjustable crows foot wrench from snap on and uses a 3/8 drive, surprisingly this is very handy.

Dr. Walt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brown Dirt Cowboy - Might check this out - Channellock 8WCB - 1 1/2 inch jaw opening , 8 inch Overall Length .
Channellock 8WCB

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank guys. I'll cut down a 12" that I have. This is a good sized nut and a 10" won't open up enough. I only want to do this job once. Replacing the air compressor on my '64 IH Emeryville cabover road tractor

wilson ind
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been carrying a cut off 10 inch crescent for 30 years in bib overall side pocket.

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: stubby adjustable wrench Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well guys, I cut down a 12" adjustable and loosened the nut on air compressor. now it will go into drawer with other "made to order" wrenchs.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters