Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

circular saws

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westslope
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After 20 years of running my Porter Cable 315-4 sidewinder - not daily, but maybe weekly on whatever project comes up - I ran across the owners manual for the thing. Wait! I'm supposed to have this thing lubricated every 150 hours? And I'm not supposed to do it myself? Supposed to find an authorized service center? This is all new to me. I just thought you blew them out with compressed air every once in awhile and ran them 'till they dropped. What's up?

Thanks
Firhead

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well,you're probably not too far off schedule.

It would take a looong time to put 150 hours on a saw.

I suspect you found an authorized service center (if any still exist), they would get a good laugh too!

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my dewalt circular saw in 1991. Built many things with it, room additions, garages, sheds. The only thing I've done is repair the cord after cutting it off with saw. I used a green 25 ft extension cord to repair saw. Only cut the cord once.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Being left handed I just never had good luck with sidewinder saws. Had been looking for a long time for a Skill Saw worm drive. At a paltry $180.oo ea. they ain't cheap. Got a new old stock at the flea market for 100. It is brand new. My STARS what a great cutting tool. If you can get hold of a M-77 you will never look back. As you do, just blow it out to keep it clean. When you turn the blade back and forth by hand and things feel free...don't worry about it. This is a photo of the 7 1/4 saw I found. Worth every single penny.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't that just the most embarrassing thing to do????. Makes a few sparks too.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate when that happens.

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know a woman who cuts cord on hedge trimmer about everytime she uses it.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Dewalt circ saw back in the mid-90's. Took it to work and found out the electricians accidentally wired one of the 120v outlets with 220v. Saw ran like a champ!! Didn't seem to hurt it any. Still going strong all these years later, but I have a new saw now and only use the Dewalt for grunt work. Have used many metal-cutting discs through the Dewalt as well. Had to be careful to make sure nothing got too hot and melted. Shocked

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never thought about the left handed saw dilemma.

Bet that is an awkward chore using about any circular saw.

mtny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Milwaukee in 1987 , 114 bucks . Remodeled one house , built 2 barns and a house . Still runs like a watch . Needs a cord bad tho.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine's a Makita, but 10-4 on the left-handed thing!

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lucky I am half ambidextrous. Chainsaws and stuff are no sweat. Just could never get the hang of a circular saw. With the worm drive I just line it up and pull the trigger. Terrific!!! Cuts like a champ and is very smooth.

BigPapa53
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

150 hours over 20 years is right at 9.4 minutes of RUN TIME a week. So, if you were cutting off 2x4s at, let’s say, 3 seconds a cut, that would be @ 180 cuts a week. If you were cutting across a 4’ wide sheet of plywood, that would be @ 12-13 cuts a week.

-Scott

Patsdeere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, so here's a fact to blow your mind. DeWalt actually makes 2 different circular saws. Internally they are jokingly referred to as west coast and East coast saws. One has the blade on the left, one has it right. Something like 90% of sales on either cost is the same type. Information provided by DeWalt rep.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: circular saws Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fawteen; Is that a Makita hypoid saw? I've had one of those for more than twenty years, I think. Looks and works exactly like a worm drive saw except that the gears don't have to be immersed in an oil bath as with all worm drive saws. I like the Makita because it's light enough for me to use it with one hand out in front of me when I don't have something convenient to rest the work on. I could do that with the Skilsaw 77 I used to own until the smoke got out of it, but I couldn't do it for long. I liked having both those saws---the Skil for heavy work and the Makita for precision work.

Stan

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters