Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

(n governor oil feed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gooniebird63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: (n governor oil feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, My 9N started high idling and I noticed oil coming out of the governor where the oil feed tube would normally be, the fitting fell out while plowing my driveway, I don't see the oil feed tube that is supposed to be attached at the elbow fitting, Is it possible that hole just had a threaded plug in it? If so, how would the governor get oil and also if that is the case, do I fill the governor with oil and plug the hole or what?
I attached an image of the threaded elbow fitting that I found on this forum.

Thanks in advance!
[/img]

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: (n governor oil feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gooniebird63 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:33:55 02/11/19) Hi, My 9N started high idling and I noticed oil coming out of the governor where the oil feed tube would normally be, the fitting fell out while plowing my driveway, I don't see the oil feed tube that is supposed to be attached at the elbow fitting, Is it possible that hole just had a threaded plug in it? If so, how would the governor get oil and also if that is the case, do I fill the governor with oil and plug the hole or what?
I attached an image of the threaded elbow fitting that I found on this forum.

Thanks in advance!
[/img]

The older "N's" up to a certain serial number did not have an oil line to the governor, it was oiled by whatever amount of oil the timing gears threw around that found it's way into the governor.

The original engines of that era left the factory without even having a threaded oiling port in the governor.

So that would mean your governor has been replaced with a newer one at some point, and the port to nowhere was simply plugged, and the plug has fallen out.

Originally, the oil passing through the bypass oil filter was simply dumped back into the crankcase on the LH side, later, they came up with the revised governor with the oil port, and ran the return line to the RH side of the engine, and dumped it into the governor.

Your options are to simply grab a 1/8" NPT pipe plug and plug the hole in your (newer) governor, or to update the oil filter return line to feed the governor, and plug the hole in the LH side of the crankcase with a 1/8" pipe plug.

If you don't like the short version, post this down lower on the page in the "N"-specific Forum, there's a guy there that will further elaborate, write you a doctoral thesis-length report, and show you photos of all the manuals you need to possess to make this better.

Gooniebird63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: (n governor oil feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, Bob! Very Happy

Gooniebird63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: (n governor oil feed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the governor was falling apart inside, heard a noise but thought it was the alternator,
The bearing for the gear on the gov was gone and bound up and broke the timing cover.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters