Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

lights for my basement workshop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want better light. I have four sockets in my shop area plus a fluorescent above the bench. I tried CFLs in the four, the daylight type, and not quite satisfied. Looking at LEDs at home dweebo. Trying to decide between "bright white" and "daylight". Daylight looks real blue, bright white looks more like natural colors. Ratings are confusing to me.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RJWFSF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in 20w, 50w and 100w, and I think maybe 150w.

20w is pretty bright considering it's just using 20 watts, but the 50w and 100w kicks butt! Each has a standard 3-prong plug and an inline switch already.

One word of caution -- either mount these high and shining downward, or if low headroom, have the light reflecting off the ceiling. They ARE bright! Also weather resistant (except the switch).

bishopNlouisiana
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yesterday I replaced the old two tube light in our pantry with a 4' led from Walmart.

The old one was failing. A new tube type would have put out 1100 light vs the 3200 in the LED.

Go for the LED unless you under 30 and can still see in the dark.

bjb in TX from Ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 things to look at with LED (or CFL), wattage and heat color. Just like with incandescent you can get higher wattage bulbs that will put out more light (they usually have on the package 60W equivalent, 75 watt equivalent etc).

The second thing is the "temperature" in K (kelvin). An analogy is the hotter steel gets, the more "white" it becomes (first red then yellow then white and if you could heat it hot enough it would look blue)

Soft white is like the old incandescent and a yellowish color (~2500K)
Bright white is a white color (~4000K)
Daylight is a blueish light (~6000K)
The lower the number the more yellowish and the higher the number the more blueish the light will be with a "white" light somewhere in the middle.

You might have to play around with brightness and color to find a good match for your normal tasks. (I actually put a soft white and a bright white (2 recessed lights) in my closet to have a better overall spectrum).

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's an LED color chart that might help. I use the daylight it is brighter.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get LED lamps/bulbs that will replace florescent lamps/bulbs in 2 different types. One goes right in just like you were replacing the florescent lamp, still uses the ballast. The other type you need to wire around the ballast, it's no longer needed.

Dale in WV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been slowly replacing the old tube fluorescent fixtures with the 4ft LED light fixtures from Sams Club. Occasionally on sale for $30 or below. For old eyes, nothing hides in LED lighting. Should last me for many more years.

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just starting to change mine as they burn out. I put a daylight 150 in over my lathe. I think it's a little too white. I have the bright white ready to try next. Think I will like it better.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We try to buy at least 5000k lamps.

Bill in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good working light i would go for 4000k whatever they call that. Daylight lights are usually up around 5-6k.

Your eyes may be different but i find the 5k bulbs to be hard on my eyes.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like 8' florescent fixtures.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer daylight LEDs over work benches.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have daylight shop lites. There is nothing hidden from them. Like working outside color temperature. Now the simple thing is stop in Lowes or desperate depot and go to the lighting department. There is a rectangular display with four or five different color LEDs. See what you like but rather cool white or sunlight. I just like the bright white. 5200-5400K. Your choice.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to keep the socket type, don't forget about the Y splitters.

Double the light for a couple dollars!
Y Splitters

Jack345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lights for my basement workshop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Splitters are good but even better are the 4' long " dressing table multi sockets" they hold 8 bulbs & can produce more light that the 4'LED fluorescent light replacements . Several advantages too , if one bulb fails the the other seven still work, buy LED replacement bulb for buck or less each easy ,to find anywhere ,Taylor the type of light you want by purchasing some daylight & some warmer light. I found several multi socket 4' @ second hand store. total cost per 4' runs about $10 producing about 6400 lumen, which can be adjusted up/down depending on bulbs purchased.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters