Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218*

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been looking for an 8N for about a year now. I finally found the one I was looking for in Lakeside (near El Cajon, Ca.)

A little about me. I like old stuff ! I've restored tons of stuff all the way from 60's vintage Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs to a couple of military vehicles and recently a Monarch Lathe.

So what can the experts here tell from the pictures? It runs, it moves forward and backward, the hydraulics work. The gas tank and the carb were very bad. I have a feeling it sat for a very long time before I got my hands on it. The gas tank was the worst smelling gas I've ever smelled. The original carburetor is tucked away for future resto. It has a 51 date stamp on the tag so it might be the original.

Here's a couple of links to other things I have restored.

1968 Mule
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=267953

1942 Monarch 10EE
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/my-first-monarch-10ee-5-42-round-dial-s-n-13938-a-343608/

I guess there's a 4 picture limit?

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there supposed to be a thermostat in this hose??

John in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks like a very solid base for a restoration. Yes, there should be a thermostat in the upper
radiator hose. Some come with a replacement hose and clamped in place with either a band. Other hoses
required a thermostat be inserted and a hose clamp added.
What is your plan to use the tractor?

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you restore that 8N like you did the other restorations you posted it will be wonderful to behold. You certainly have an eye for details!

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whut are your plans do you have a use for it are do you just want to take it apart and play with it for fun...

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one will earn it's keep everyday. It will not be a garage queen.
My wife manages/runs/teaches at a horse barn in Moorpark. It will work there everyday. Which means at some point in the future I will be doing this all over again.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good looking 8N. It will do a lot of work for you.
I have an old Monarch lathe that is much older. I always figured it was about WWI vintage. Has about a 6 foot bed on it. Flat belt driven from overhead shaft. I have an electric motor overhead on it now. Always wanted a manual for it but have not found one I can afford.
Richard in NW SC

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lance-W wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:58:12 02/17/19) This one will earn it's keep everyday. It will not be a garage queen.
My wife manages/runs/teaches at a horse barn in Moorpark. It will work there everyday. Which means at some point in the future I will be doing this all over again.

That 10EE is too pretty to be earning it's keep Rolling Eyes

TOH

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get it up and running use it before I dug into it deep... The only thing that popped out at me was the way they mounted the coil its not a deal killer the coil is mounted different on a original side mount dist head so I would guess the head has been replaced..

On the rear top link rocker for the tree point never use the top two
holes block them off so no one else does...

The next question what work will it do on the hobby horse farm... Hobby horse farms need a loader tractor a N is not a loader tractor...

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is to invest in the essential manuals and read religiously if you haven't already done so. Don't put much faith in serial numbers. Engines got swapped out often and unless you are planning on doing a full correct restoration, forget it. The important facts to know are, A) it has a side mount distributor, B) late steering box, I think, C) has a 12V switch out job, but I'd verify it has been done correctly. I see OEM Hat Rims and 16" fronts. You may want to check rear tires for Calcium Chloride and get rid of it -it will leak and corrode those original hats. Whatever that monstrosity is hanging off the RH dogleg I'd get rid of pronto. If it is as I suspect some sort of extra fuel filter, it's a fire hazard as well as being an unnecessary item. There are three fuel filters in the OEM system and no need to add any more.

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
I would get it up and running use it before I dug into it deep... The only thing that popped out at me was the way they mounted the coil its not a deal killer the coil is mounted different on a original side mount dist head so I would guess the head has been replaced..

On the rear top link rocker for the tree point never use the top two
holes block them off so no one else does...

The next question what work will it do on the hobby horse farm... Hobby horse farms need a loader tractor a N is not a loader tractor..

If I had to speculate I'd say the engine had been recently rebuilt before it got parked. I ran compression test yesterday and it turned out to be 90 PSI +/- 2 PSI on all the cylinders. I've never seen a compression test that was that closely grouped.

I will look into the coil mounting, the bracket that's it's currently on is very wimpy so I had planned on changing that anyways.

It will do what the big Kubota front end loader that they already have can't or go where it won't fit. I understand that a N is not a front end loader. It'd be great if it was but oh well. Right now I see it's job as

1. Dragging the arena
2. Working in the barn aisles as a platform to haul all the muck tubs to the dumping spot.
3. As a platform to feed off of.

2 & 3 will of course require me to build some type of trailer or I've been rolling around the idea of making a platform that attaches to the 3 point. Kinda like a variable height bed on the back of the tractor. Sound feasible?

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tim PloughNman Dal wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:02:39 02/18/19) The best thing you can do is to invest in the essential manuals and read religiously if you haven't already done so. Don't put much faith in serial numbers. Engines got swapped out often and unless you are planning on doing a full correct restoration, forget it. The important facts to know are, A) it has a side mount distributor, B) late steering box, I think, C) has a 12V switch out job, but I'd verify it has been done correctly. I see OEM Hat Rims and 16" fronts. You may want to check rear tires for Calcium Chloride and get rid of it -it will leak and corrode those original hats. Whatever that monstrosity is hanging off the RH dogleg I'd get rid of pronto. If it is as I suspect some sort of extra fuel filter, it's a fire hazard as well as being an unnecessary item. There are three fuel filters in the OEM system and no need to add any more.
Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

The "thing" hanging off the dogleg is the temporary gas tank. VERY temporary. I already have a replacement gas tank/filters but at this point it's not worth changing it out.

No Calcium Chloride in the tires, Just air. The new tires are showing up tomorrow so the VERY cracked ones that are on there will be replaced as soon as I get the existing ones off, sand blast the wheels and epoxy prime and then paint them.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi-Tek hobby horse farm with a bota Smile... Look into sway bar links and mounts for the 3 point someone will post a pix of them in use...

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/231253XHD_Stabilizer-Kit-Extra-Heavy-Duty_782.htm

johnmspeight
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1952 (?), 8N - I understand firing order from distributor is I 2 4 3 - However I have gotten different opinions about numbering of pistons - is # 1 closest to radiator or closest to steering wheel ? Thank You to whoever answers.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hi john, welcome to YT.

number one cylinder is at the front, closest to the radiator.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters