Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9n lift arm install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rugaru
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I searched and couldn't find anything. ( first indication that I'm probably missing something). Plenty of how to take them off but not so much about getting them back on.
Someone back in time did some welding on this arm and there was no getting the holes for the pin to line up. So I decided to replace it after several attempts at re-aligning the holes. After three days of wrestling, beating, torching, pulling, swearing and finally cutting... I got the lift arm off the shaft. Now, I have no clue as to how the new arm is going to fit onto the rockshaft. Is it supposed to be a slip fit? is it supposed to be heat expanded or pressed on? I cleaned up the shaft splines and lined up the keyed spline... not even close to fitting. I'm working with the stock shaft and an aftermarket arm from here (YT) any suggestions are appreciated.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rugaru Measure the shaft OD with dial caliper and the lift arm ID,to see how much it is off.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rugaru, I had to replace one lift arm on my 2N. Same thing, someone had welded an extra piece onto it to beef it up. Anyway, mine came right off and the new one slipped right on. What holes are you referring to that need to line up? The lift arms on the N's are held on my a washer and two cap screws.

Rugaru
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The holes I was trying to align were at the far end where the leveling box knuckle attaches. They had it bolted thru and I wasn't to confident trying to pick up a bush hog with it.

Rugaru
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes sense. I'll give it a go.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If all the stars in the universe line up it should slip on EZ...

Rugaru
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n lift arm install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update: after measuring, I spent the next couple days filing the splines and got the arm to fit the shaft.

Upon testing, I can lift lighter loads, but stalls out after lifting a heavy load (5 ft brush hog) about 2 inches. Just the front end, not the whole hog.

Attempt to adjust the quadrant since it only responds at the bottom 2 inches. No difference where I move it. I'LL open up the cover tomorrow to see what is going on inside.

I'm figuring the selector is either disconnected somehow or there's a problem with the pump. I"Ve already replaced the cylinder, naa piston and safety valve last year when I bought it. Not much more in there. 😀

Thanks for the previous advice.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters