Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The internet as a tool

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see kcm.MN's responce to a joke made about google

"I don't/won't use Google."

Why?
What prohibits your use of google?
enlighten me
what have or do they do that should concern me.

Are their other search engines that work better or are safer?

Has Google done something rash?

Personally I find google very helpful
I enjoy and use their products with pure satisfaction and trust
Am I an idiot?

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eh, just personnel preference. Google is a big outfit and likes to keep tabs on where all folks go online.

I prefer DuckDuckGo for a search engine.

By the way, I'm also anti-social. *lol*

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Internet is more of a tool box, 'cause it tends to be full of tools. Ha, ha. I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your server.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Internet "saved my life" many decades ago. IIRC this was back with Windows 2.8 (might have been 3.0 or even 3.1). As an "isolated" auto mechanic I began to think that some of the more difficult problems were mine alone and were making me depressed thinking that the issue was that I was just stupid. I got into a nationwide fledgling forum, on the ground floor, of mechanics and was elated and relieved to find that all of them had problems just like mine. Sharing information was a huge help (the group eventually got too large to work with). Today the Internet is my "go to" for everything from 'how to pick a lock' to 'do your own home brain surgery'. Is Big Brother watching? Sure are but in a heck of a lot more things than just online.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer DIY lobotomies, myself. Wink

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This explains Google better than I can.
My search engine default is Duck Duck Go
but I can choose google from drop down menu if I choose.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-see-everything-google-knows-about-you-2016-6

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, but my Google chrome browser with google adblock extension conflicts with www.businessinsider's demands to advertise or deny. "those Nazis" well maybe russians or chinese or something

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use "BING". Google tracks everything you do.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bing follows you now as well -- started a couple years ago, IIRC.

I don't mind Bing so much, as their powers-of-observation have limits.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha! I have google email and google is the search engine that comes up on my Apple I mac Safari brouser. Funny, just within the last week or so that quacking duck showed up. I just figured it was another gimmic since I have been getting google postings how they are improving their security and taking better care of their customer's information sort of thing....bla bla bla.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On "is it a tool"? You betcha!

My guess is that 90% of current reported productivity improvements in anything reportable, is due to the internet.

I marvel at the volume of information available to me here at home almost daily. When I look back at when I was in industry building things, my accessibility to the products I needed was severely limited as compared to todays availability. The "Thompson Register", a file of books worth about 6' of shelf length and overly sized volumes was your source of information and suppliers if a sales person didn't just happen to drop by selling something of interest to you.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe so, but there's still a lot to be said for being able to thumb through the Grainger catalog vs. trying to find something on their website!

If you know what you're looking for, the website is great. When you're an idiot (like me), the catalog is much nicer.

Seriously though, it's not just the info. The internet as a whole is simply an amazing creation. I'm guessing young folks born into it don't notice much of a difference, but those of us who grew up before DOS have a better idea of how far things have come.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to use google but switched to duck duck go, they delete your search as soon as you're done. Google makes a lot of money selling information on your habits. It's the privacy issue. I'm not against making money and have nothing to keep secret in my life, or a conspiracy theorist. The info is stored somewhere and sooner or later someone can use it.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing is free... and if you expect that... well...

I have tried lots of search engines and I constantly have the best results with google. I get more hits on parts quicker. And yes, all of them either serve up ads or track you to later serve up ads.

Nothing is free, including my time. I do run a ad blocker that works well but now sites are embedding ads into the sites so that the ad blocker can not detect them or remove them.

You time and preferences are yours, and pick which ever one makes your happy. I pick the fastest and one move on. I have no loyalty to any of them, only the fastest and most hits. I even force searches in the the .uk domain as the European engines will turn up parts and searches not available on the .com domain. Like you have I a strong bias against google, but my time, and success is worth more.

Nothing is more frustrating as I search, and buy immediately and then get to see ads for the next month offering me the same product selection that I no longer need or will purchase. Again, a good ad blocker makes that go awayyyyyyyyyyy.

TomA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The internet as a tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use startpage

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters