Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to replace the washer and felt seal in this 1927 Clark differential to fix an oil leak. I got the drive shaft flange off, which is held on with a bolt. But can't get the washer/felt seal out. Notice the castle-type adjustment rings on the outside. Do those have to come off too? I am worried if I take those off the pinion gear adjustment will get screwed up.

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

https://photos.app.goo.gl/feivVAmfaqyvJMkQ7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m4CErPnXP3iQrScF6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmNHQYhR5R8oxGgDA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QkwHJrK1FAJ8nyvP6

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those links above may not work... try these.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/feivVAmfaqyvJMkQ7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m4CErPnXP3iQrScF6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmNHQYhR5R8oxGgDA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QkwHJrK1FAJ8nyvP6

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is that silver stuff? I would be scraping some of that away to get an idea of hothouse rings may engage the inner ring.

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:40:07 02/19/19)
What is that silver stuff? I would be scraping some of that away to get an idea of hothouse rings may engage the inner ring.

If you are talking about he silver metal ring, that is the washer that I am assuming holds the felt seal in.

If you are talking about the granular stuff, it may be sand residue from when the differential was sandblasted.

At any rate, I am trying to get that washer out to install a new felt seal, or perhaps a more modern seal.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tvscum wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:05:03 02/19/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:40:07 02/19/19)

If you are talking about he silver metal ring, that is the washer that I am assuming holds the felt seal in.

If you are talking about the granular stuff, it may be sand residue from when the differential was sandblasted.

At any rate, I am trying to get that washer out to install a new felt seal, or perhaps a more modern seal.

I see now that what looked like silver is actually black. It looks like a very thick coating of paint

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My best guess is you do not want to take the front off. Tat bolt loosens up and one turns that collar with the notches to set the pinion to the ring gear, (just what it looks like) . Looking at the yoke you removed looks like the seal rides on it but then the key way would leak so I am thinking you are ring in that you need to go deeper but how. One might take a small drill bit and drill the washer and try a screw on a slide hammer but that is just a guess. I am betting you can come up with a late model seal that will work if you can get back to where it needs to be installed.

Ozlander
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think that if you have to take that collar off, just count the turns off, then same number of turns on. Maybe a wee bit more for wear.

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right, so it actually looks like there are two rings with castle notches on them. Perhaps the inside ring holds the washer and seal, and the outside ring adjusts the pinon gear? Otherwise, why have two rings?

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well looks like you may be right, so one would remove the lock tab then back maybe the inside nut out and get to your seal, that would make sense in that one could actually tighten the old seal. Back in those days seals were very primitive. What ever you do please post back photos and results. I am 75 years old and worked on a lot of old stuff but nothing exactly like that.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the rear axles I've worked on. I don't believe that those rings are plastic since most of things made during that time frame were made out of steel or are cast iron or a few cast steel parts. What are those bolts in the section behind that clamp looking deal. They might just, adjust the ring and pinion gear set. Especially if there are shims there. The nut holding the yoke/flange for the drive shaft would probably hold the pinion shaft tight in the front casting.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try: 888-383-3301 or 360-793-3661. Arm yourself with as much info about the axle you're dealing with ahead of time. Serial #,
model#, etc. or pictures. Good luck.

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-caterpillar guy wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:26 02/20/19) From the rear axles I've worked on. I don't believe that those rings are plastic since most of things made during that time frame were made out of steel or are cast iron or a few cast steel parts. What are those bolts in the section behind that clamp looking deal. They might just, adjust the ring and pinion gear set. Especially if there are shims there. The nut holding the yoke/flange for the drive shaft would probably hold the pinion shaft tight in the front casting.

Thank you for your help. The rings (B and C in the linked photo below) are definitely iron. I have not tried to move them yet. They are locked in place with the bolt (E). Good thought, the bolts and plate (D) could have shims underneath and might hold the pinon in. The levers left and right are brake linkage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t8bZX1uXZRDxn8gx9

tvscum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bill(Wis) wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:18:03 02/20/19) Try: 888-383-3301 or 360-793-3661. Arm yourself with as much info about the axle you're dealing with ahead of time. Serial #,

I will give them a call. I believe the truck came with a Clark B307 but it could have been changed out over the decades. It appears to be similar to this rear end mentioned in an article from 1921:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZVfo458cGgPu2PT8

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1927 Gotfredson Truck - Clark differential Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tvscum wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:32 02/20/19)
CVPost-Bill(Wis) wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:18:03 02/20/19) Try: 888-383-3301 or 360-793-3661. Arm yourself with as much info about the axle you're dealing with ahead of time. Serial #,

I will give them a call. I believe the truck came with a Clark B307 but it could have been changed out over the decades. It appears to be similar to this rear end mentioned in an article from 1921:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZVfo458cGgPu2PT8

Looks to me like the front/smaller notched adjustment sleeve "B" sets the bearing "preload" and the larger adjustment sleeve "C" sets "pinion depth".

Before you removed the yoke, was there any play in the bearings or could you feel a "pre-load"?

If you have to remove threaded sleeve "B" to access the seal, when putting it back you just need to get it back where the "feel" of the bearings is the same as it was, or slightly more "snug".

If you have ever "set up" axle bearings before, this will make more sense to you.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters