Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

trailer brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooked180
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son bought a trailer to haul tractors and when he hooks up the brakes they lock up, unhook them and the are free?

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might check to see if trailer plug wiring matches the truck plug. Sounds like something is not wired
right.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trailer plug has brake wire crossed. In the wrong hole.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep wired wrong.

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6 way round plug? Theres 2 patterns. The
12v+ and brake power are switched between
them.

If using an adapter to go from 6round
trailer to 7 rv pick-up, the adapter should
be able to be opened up and the wires
switched.

Crookedwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is possible that the truck is cross wired at the receptacle?
Try another truck on the trailer or another trailer on his truck.

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the trailer brakes have 12v applied when truck and trailer are connected. Wiring doesnt match up. Could be truck or trailer. Look up wiring diagrams on line and insure truck and trailer match.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like what was said before the trailer plug wiring doesn't match. I borrowed a trailer once that was wired screwy, not to 'code. When I pulled it home the first time I used the left turn signal the trailer brakes pulsed on and off because of mismatched trailer plug wiring. Some guys wire their trailer so it matches their towing vehicle only so no one can borrow the trailer.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the wiring . Sounds like some one wired it there way . Just like my trailer i wired mine for ME and me alone . You hook to my trailer that is where you set as the brakes come on . I did this to stop people from asking to BORROW it . My one close friend let everybody borrow his and let a guy that had no brake controller to use it and he was involved in a crash where he rear ended someone due to not being able to stop with way more on then what the trailer was rated for . the crash did the number on the goose neck and i was the lucky one to get to fix it . He also got hauled into court over the wreck it cost him a pretty good chunk of change for his attorney to get him off. so from that day on he and i wired our trailers different . We did not use the standard R V wiring and went full semi wiring with dual marker and tail lite plus hot wire that on a R V set up would be the brake wire Ya also had to have the std. 7 prong semi male and female plugs . Someone would ask and we would say sure go ahead and they would go hook up only to find that the trailer plug would not fit there R V plug so they stopped asking .

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a standard for that wiring, does not mean that either the truck or trailer is wired right.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there are a couple different wir8ng set ups. the heavy duty commercial and cold weather and cold weather rv. here is a link to the different ones. go to
the bottom of the page.
poke here

HobbySaw
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: trailer brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Auto parts stores around here have 2 types of 6 round to the larger 7 "RV" style adapters. One will wire the center as AUX (constant hot) the other has the center "brake" for trailer brakes. The ones I've seen have it marked on the locator key usually in almost impossible to read script!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters