Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Help with fuel line

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WolfyofPort
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have my great grandfathers super w6. I am
having trouble finding a fuel line for it
because it is pre SN 3951. Can any one lend
some advice apart from making one myself?

WolfyofPort
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You most likely wont find it, unless you get a used one that's all messed up anyways. Youd be money ahead just to make it, but one from a Super M may work.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

be a 1953 model, but quite sure the farmall and mccormicks take a different line. , due to the tank outlet in a different position. nothing to make it. make sure you have the circle bend in it to prevent cracking.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the rubber fuel line for an M. YT sells them. I have one on my 1940 M. Excellent fit.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah yes, forgot the outlet was different.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"...apart from making one myself"

Sorry, no. Nobody makes a fuel line for that tractor anymore. Just not enough demand for that specific model.

I've used "pre-made" fuel lines in the past, and my experience is that they need as much bending and trimming as a piece of straight 5/16" brake line.

Why so against making one yourself? It's not difficult.

WolfyofPort
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only reason is I dont have the tools for it
but I'm going to see about getting them.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would a Super W6 be different from a Super M? Same carburetor, same sediment bowl, aren't the fuel tanks also the same?

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, the location of the hole for the sediment bowl is in a different place on the tank, due to the belt pulley.

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd caution you against a rubber fuel line. I used to would have said I agree, use rubber, but the pack-rats or whatever I have, have chewed mine all over the place, and filled the barn with gasoline. Pretty dangerous. I'd recommend going on line, you can buy a roll of 5/16 steel brake line, from ebay, you can cut the stuff with a sharp roller-plumbing cutter, and get fittings almost any NAPA store. Should be easy.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

different outlet location , I was surprises to... put a W4 tank on my farmall H and wth the gas line was too short. figured the W6 and M had the same deal going on. little things like that to screw you around.

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with making one as it is very simple with some steel brake line and the compression fittings compatible with the brake line and f compatible with the fuel tank outlet and carburetor inlet. When I restored my Farmall 240 I got a couple straight sections of the correct size brake line, correct brass fittings and a simple hand tube bender to retain full inside diameter of the tube through the bends for proper fuel flow. I made a sample pattern with some solid copper wire and bent the steel tube to the pattern with the hand bender leaving a little excess on each end to be trimmed to length with a tube cutter when fitting the tube between the tank and carb. Got it perfect with the first attempt. I don't believe the tube bender I used cost more than $15 and have used it for other projects since. Rubber hose is not a safe alternative as noted in other responses as a neighbor's tractor burnt to the rims when a mouse nest caught fire under the hood next to a rubber fuel line from the heat of the exhaust manifold while making hay.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-WolfyofPort wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:44:25 03/12/19) Only reason is I dont have the tools for it
but I'm going to see about getting them.

Reluctance to buy tools? Someone's going to be calling for your "man card." Just kidding around with ya...

Really, all you need is a hacksaw and a piece of sandpaper or a file to dress up the ends. Fancy tubing cutters and benders make the job easier but are not absolutely necessary. You can make the bends by hand if you're careful, or use an old v-belt pulley as a bending guide. Heck anything round, an old soup can even...

WolfyofPort
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help with fuel line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I am going to make it myself. Assuming the size is 5/16 and what's this about putting a loop in the line?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters