Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

batteries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westslope
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sticker shocked once more. I used to pick up a 12-v "garden Tractor" size battery for $20-25. They might last a year or two, then I'd get a new one - no big deal. Recently after moving and taking a hiatus from running the tractor - a Gravely G16 Professional, I paid $55 for the same wimpy-looking battery and it only lasted a year. Got another one for $55. IT lasted a year. They look like the same thing I used to get, something that looks like it should go in a Barbie mower, but this is getting expensive. In this tractor I have the room to put in a regular car battery. I figure I might pay a bit (but not much) more, and get a lot more oomph and longevity out of it. Is there any downside here? What am I missing?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO downside, if it physically fits.

nevertomany
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Long as it's 12V and fits I see no downside. I've used car batteries as temp batteries in a couple projects and they've always been fine.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is why when you lift the hood of your Gravely and there is a battery tray big enough to take a full size. Do it. Next, stop at you local car part joint that sells batteries. Many of them have used batteries for sale usually with a 90 day sticker. I have had very good luck with used. If you really luck out you might find an Interstate Optima battery. Talk about a power house. The one warning is these Optimas must have a charger maintainer hooked to them for long term storage. The battery WILL go bad if you don't.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been using car batteries in my Cub Cadets for 40 years. Think it's a group #26 battery with 500 CCA, about double what the little "L" terminal L&G batteries produce. I normally get 8 to 10 years out of the car battery.

My 982 super garden tractor has the battery under the seat, not enough highth for a car battery, on the tractor that most needs one.

AZJIM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had good luck with 35 amp-hr, handicapped scooter batteries,5-6 years on them so far.

psimmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had the same car size battery in my Gravely for years. No idea how old it is, nor what brand without going out and checking. Works fine.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have room stick a car battery in it. My old JD 110 just had it's third used car battery stuck in it in at least 20 years.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have always gotten 4-5 years out of the $18 ones from Menards, but now they have switched suppliers. GEO-TH used to recommend the $35 ones as they were sealed and didn't corrode. We always have a corrosion problem with the cheap ones.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can thank the EPA for the high cost of batteries now days. The shut down of most lead mines have sent the cost of lead high so any thing that has lead in it the price has gone threw the roof.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, I use the cheap car batteries as long as they fit,there was a flyer in today's paper for mower batteries for 30.00,but a car batt. will run 40.00 and last longer

westslope
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well- got a used car battery from the local recycling/junkyard outfit for $15. Took a good charge when I got it home and spins that Kholer over like crazy. Thank you all for the input.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:28:54 03/03/19) You can thank the EPA for the high cost of batteries now days. The shut down of most lead mines have sent the cost of lead high so any thing that has lead in it the price has gone threw the roof.

Yup, that's the truth. :evil:

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 92 model 16G Pro. Second of owning it year I put a 850 CCA Deka car battery and it. Its still holding strong.

If you go car the battery route. Just fully charge it before installing. Makes it easier on the charging system.

My ole Magnum started puffing a little smoke on start ups last year. May tear into it later this year and check it out before something lets go.

westslope
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mule,
Just curious. How many hours do you have on your 16G? I've got 1125 on mine and I'm wondering when I should be expecting trouble. So far
so good, at least with the engine. Straight 30 weight from the get-go.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters