Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1973 MF 135

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samjake
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I purchased a 1973 diesel tractor that
has been setting in a building for a
out 3 or 4 years. Not sure if it had
been started or not. What steps should
I take before trying to start it. If
anyone can help I would greatly
appreciate it

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would check all the fluids, put some fresh diesel in it, put a battery in it, and see if it will start. I did that to a MF 240 (it has the same engine as the 135 diesel) that had sat for 15 years, it fired right off!!!

Samjake
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. I was concerned about
sludge in bottom of oil pan that might
work it's way back up into the engine
thinking I should not only change the
oil but drop the pan and clean it out
also plus change filters and new fuel
in tank

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it does start, I'll be surprised. I get a LOT of pumps in lately that need completely torn down to clean and free up stuck internal parts from stale fuel. Any traces of water in fuel, or bio-fuel use will be sure to stick the plungers and metering valve..

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:25:58 03/08/19) If it does start, I'll be surprised. I get a LOT of pumps in lately that need completely torn down to clean and free up stuck internal parts from stale fuel. Any traces of water in fuel, or bio-fuel use will be sure to stick the plungers and metering valve..

The 240 still had the red dye diesel from 15 years ago, after it got warm I changed the engine oil, and all the filters. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad, the tractor only had 1088 hours on it.

Samjake
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should I take pump off and clean it or even purchase a new one?

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you have the proper equipment, specifications, and knowledge; do not take the pump apart. From your question I would guess you don't have any experience with injection pumps. It is a very precision piece of equipment. If you want to take it off to take/send it to a pump shop, get the manuals first and follow them step by step for removal and you will have better results when you go to install it. Injection pumps are not cheap, repairs or replacements. Dieseltech and others can give you an idea of what the cost range might be.

Personally (and I am sure some will disagree with this), I would change the fuel filter, bleed the system and try starting it; then decide if the pump has to come off for a rebuild. I would at least crack the oil pan drain plug to check for water/coolant, if I didn't change the oil and filter to start with. JMHO, each to his own.

TexasMF135
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 MF 135 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil pan in my 135 supports the radiator and front axle. I too thought I could drop the pan and inspect the bearings. Pan on mine weighed about 80 pounds clean. Nothing like the pan on a small block ford pickup. I had a spun bearing, but that perkins diesel ran. i had to have the crank turned at the machine shop. Just sayin' dont take it apart just to clean it. just change the oil twice and see if the new oil carries anything out with it. Lift pump had allowed diesel into the crankcase and diluted the oil. Diesel and oil mix in the crankcase caused caused a bearing to sieze. 211 hours on it since the rebuild.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters