Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Strange fox on the place

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Bear and I had just been for a walk, more of a wade, around the garden and were back at the shop looking across the yard toward the barn. It was just after sundown.
Saw something walk out from behind the barn that looked like a big house cat and it was behind some tall grass so I could not get a good look.
A couple of minutes later, it walks in front of the barn and then starts walking around inside my garden spot. It was moving slow and just wandering around.
I could tell now that it was closer, that it was a mangy looking fox.
Walked in my wife's sewing room to grab my old long barreled 12 gauge Nitro Hunter and realized my son had not brought it back.
I started making a lot of noise and it paid me no attention.
Finally it slowly walked into the woods.
Bear can't see well enough to see it at 30 yards or he would have taken off to get it. I am glad he didn't.
My friend that keeps chickens in one of our barns said that fox have a disease that makes them look mangy and causes them to just wander around like that. Said they have killed several like that on Clemson farms.
Gonna get one of my shotguns ready for the next time I see it.
Richard in NW SC

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Fox can get distemper like dogs and make them act strange in the final stages.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We were coming in from work one evening last summer and about 1/4 mile from our house there was a nearly bald coyote. Just stood on edge of the road looking at us. I beeped the horn and it didn't move. Yelled at it out the window and it finally moved into the woods. Next morning we saw it dead on side of road. No telling what all was wrong with it.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gary, whatever it has, it will be underground next time I see it.
Richard

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here, the only good coyote is a dead coyote. SC is talking about putting a bounty on them.
Hope they do.
They kill a lot of calves and cats around us.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

el chupacabra! The REAL reason we are building the wall.

47fivewindow
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My vet is a farm gal and understands what it takes to keep a dog healthy if it goes out alone. The number of shots-Distemper, rabies, lymes., heartworm meds. make me wonder how lomg a wild dog could survive.

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mange is what causes them to look mangy. As it progresses, their skin can become swollen and covered with crust, to the point their eyes don't open. They start walking around at all hours looking for food, and at times appear like they don't know what's going on around them. I expect it affects their hearing as well, but I don't know that for sure.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor hunts coyotes with dogs. Him and his buddies got 190 so far this winter here in mid Mn. Just think how many there would be if it weren't for them?

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:33:31 03/12/19) My neighbor hunts coyotes with dogs. Him and his buddies got 190 so far this winter here in mid Mn. Just think how many there would be if it weren't for them?

190 less?

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen coyotes with it, killed one 10 years ago close to the house that had the mange. Looked aweful, no way it would make it through a winter like that. Vultures would not touch this thing. Coyotes on the game camera lately are large and healthy, got a pack of 3 running here now. Fox always seem healthy as well, both gray and red, but I do not see much of either lately, coyote running them off maybe ?

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems you can either have a good population of fox, or a good population of coyotes, but not both. We still have a handful of fox around, but nowhere close to what there was before the coyote made its way back.
An interesting bit of info, grey fox have a natural immunity to sarcoptic mange. At least I find it interesting.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Growing up there were a couple of foxes regularly seen . One was red and the other was blond . Neighbour had real nice twin daughters .

300jk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a bunch of mangy ones around the farm quite a few years ago. Too weak to hunt they would eat the fallen pears under the trees in the front yard. We killed around 5 all together. Nasty looking !

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange fox on the place Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh, is the wall being built? News travels slow up here.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters