Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bush hogging pasture..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only have about a 10 acre patch..sometimes a farmers will cut and bail it for supplemental hay for their livestock..The years no one cuts it...I do..Problem with the bush hog is it tends to create a windrow...a little spread out compared to a swather, but still pretty much in one big row pile. I would rather it was spread out more. Any advice as to how I can do this without buying more equipement?

thx

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does cuter have a rear deck shield that can easily be removed? Is cutter deck adjusted lower in front than rear?

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing. I’ve just learned to live with it. I’m not aware of any simple way to change it, it’s just physics.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cut it sooner and more often when it's shorter.

Red1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No shield..Front is lower than the back...Thought about adding some directional fins to help spread it out...Might end up plugging up under the deck...or having to slow down more than the 8n can.

Appreciate the feedback...I'll live with it... Confused

redforlife
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not sure there is much you can do. The rotation of blades is going to make clippings naturally drift to one
side within the mower deck. The only thing I know you can do to your mower, is if you have any sheilds or drop
chains on the back of mower deck, take them off in hopes that things will fly out the back better, and not go to
one side.

A couple things that might help as far as mowing is, mow when it is as dry as possible. Moisture adds to the
clippings sticking together and not scattering out. Also, mow more often and when grass is fairly on the short
side. The extra debree is just going to add to the problem. Be more of it, and the taller it is, the more it's
going to want to stick together.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

+3 here. Get rid of any rear chains/shields. I even took my torch on one I had and cut away the rear vertical sheet metal and DOES help to allow the
clippings to blow out the back and lie flat on the ground. Also, as stated, clip more often.

John S-B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bush hogging pasture.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had that problem in the past, what I do to help spread it out is I remove the tail wheel and use the three point hitch to keep up the deck. That helps it a bit. I still have to re-mow it a few days later after the mown grass has dried out a bit. When it dries, it breaks into smaller pieces. I've had to re-mow it up to 3 times, the last with a zero turn mower to keep it from making windrows. That's just because I was too busy/lazy to keep mowing it when it was shorter. Mowing it more often when it's not going to be cut is the key. Otherwise you have to either bale it or mow it several times.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters