Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer community

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBry
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer community Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

It seems your hobby/passion has attracted one more nut - like a moth to a flame......ME. My wife and I live in NJ and are looking to BREAK BAD (without the meth production) and move to north-central Arkansas. We're looking to pick up 18-20 acres and to build our last home on it. We're in our late 40's and the clock is ticking - plus Jersey is just killing us with taxes. So - while watching a youtube video, I saw a homesteader who had a 9N and swore how it was his go-to machine for everyday work. And he mentioned sites like this one for parts and support. Well, ya know - I HAD to go get one for the wife and I.
So, I went out a picked up a '39 9N off of Facebook marketplace. It was a 2 hour drive but it was what I expected - non-running, well rigged over the years....tires and rims shot but block looks clean - no cracks or repairs visible. Figured I'd rebuild the whole animal.
Fast forward 2 months and the block is being boiled and trued up now - and I've decided to restore - not just repair what has become a member of our family. The guy I bought it from said "It's addictive" as I was pulling out of his driveway.....He wasn't kidding.
Thanks to awesome folks like y'all as well as sites like this, aside from going broke Laughing I've got my part list built out for just about everything. I'm about to place an order that should help keep YesterdaysTractor online for long while.
Anyway, one thing I have NOT been able to find - A piston sleeve removal tool. I've heard about ones made by someone here (Oldskoakie I think) and have seen videos with them being used so perfectly. I did my due diligence checking the forums here but couldn't find anything about them. Does anyone know if they are still available or a place I can buy them new or used? I heard they are "bouncing around the country" in finely made wooden boxes from one enthusiast to another. Smile If someone could let me know how to get one bounced my way, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Also, I'm new so - if I can help in any way, also, lemme know.

Thanks again - sorry for the long post.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi BigBry, welcome to our world. It sounds like you've done a lot of research so far. As for the sleeve puller, here is my suggestion. Unless you are planning on restoring more tractors in the future, I would search around your area for a machine shop that knows what they are doing, already have the tools and have them put new sleeves in. Does your '39 have the aluminum hood etc.?

BigBry
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

No aluminum hood, but a weird setup. No hinged battery/fuel door....it's held on by spring clips.....looks the same though. Believe it or not, there's not too many machine shops left in my area.....the block is currently at the only shop I know of being boiled and decked. I asked him to pull the sleeves for me and he looked at me with a straight face and said "How do I do that?" This man has built engines for 30 years. That's when I figured I'd try to find the tool. Smile Either that or I'll try the welding method......I worry about that one though.....don't want to go too deep.

Farmall plowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome, the twitching gets worse when you
add other colors in the mix!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BigBry wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:38:10 04/16/19) it seems your hobby/passion has attracted one more nut - like a moth to a flame......ME. My wife and I live in NJ and are looking to BREAK BAD (without the meth production) and move to north-central Arkansas. We're looking to pick up 18-20 acres and to build our last home on it. We're in our late 40's and the clock is ticking - plus Jersey is just killing us with taxes. So - while watching a youtube video, I saw a homesteader who had a 9N and swore how it was his go-to machine for everyday work. And he mentioned sites like this one for parts and support. Well, ya know - I HAD to go get one for the wife and I.
So, I went out a picked up a '39 9N off of Facebook marketplace. It was a 2 hour drive but it was what I expected - non-running, well rigged over
Anyway, one thing I have NOT been able to find - A piston sleeve removal tool. I've heard about ones made by someone here (Oldskoakie I think) and have seen videos with them being used so perfectly. I did my due diligence checking the forums here but couldn't find anything about them. Does anyone know if they are still available or a place I can buy them new or used? I heard they are "bouncing around the country" in finely made wooden boxes from one enthusiast to another. Smile If someone could let me know how to get one bounced my way, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Also, I'm new so - if I can help in any way, also, lemme know.

Thanks again - sorry for the long post.

Sleeve Tools Here

Business is booming and lead times are long

TOH

John in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad to hear that there is still some new infections with these old Fords. May I suggest that with your
early 9N and snap in battery door that when you transport it either remove the door or tie it down.
There are those who lost them to the wind on an open trailer. I have my original (currently not
installed) and one repop, just in case.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, and the addiction!
The snap-in hood is correct for a 1939. Is the rest of it '39?
You can use John Smith's wealth of knowledge now stored here
to decide the identity for yourself. Might make it worth putting more,
or less money into depending on what you actually have.
In the end, unfortunately, you're not likely to get your money back
on resale but you may get it back time and time again on use! Smile

BTW, that set of tools that was floating around the country in the
wooden box is currently in my garage being well taken care of.
Email me through YT if you'd like to discuss using them.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John in Mich wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:29:11 04/16/19) Glad to hear that there is still some new infections with these old Fords. May I suggest that with your
early 9N and snap in battery door that when you transport it either remove the door or tie it down.
There are those who lost them to the wind on an open trailer. I have my original (currently not
installed) and one repop, just in case.

Amen to that. I lost my snap in battery door when I trailered my 9N home. It flew off and I didn't notice until I got home. I knew it was somewhere between the gas station 15 miles away and my house so my girlfriend and I drove the route slowly and scanned the sides of the road. She actually found it sitting on top of a snowbank about a mile from the gas station.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have the machine shop grind the valves and seats while he has it... If the valve guides, valves and lifters have not been updated now is the time to do it...

Original guides would be two piece, valves would have a tulip end and the lifters non adjustable.

Updated would be one piece solid guides, conventional valve tips lifters adjustable (have a adjusting bolt where the vales rides on it)

The original valve springs are different I would have to think on the difference maybe someone will fill ya in on it...

Lets see if this will work

http://www.8nacres.com/1939_9N/

You will have to click on restoring then scan across the pix till you see his comment on the valve springs...

Next you will need to check piston to head interference this becomes a issue if you deck the block...

Their is some differences in these old flatheads its not yer dads Oldsmobile ask questions if you are unsure...

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:44:49 04/16/19)
I would have the machine shop grind the valves and seats while he has it... If the valve guides, valves and lifters have not been updated now is the time to do it...

Original guides would be two piece, valves would have a tulip end and the lifters non adjustable.

Updated would be one piece solid guides, conventional valve tips lifters adjustable (have a adjusting bolt where the vales rides on it)

The original valve springs are different I would have to think on the difference maybe someone will fill ya in on it...

Lets see if this will work

http://www.8nacres.com/1939_9N/

You will have to click on restoring then scan across the pix till you see his comment on the valve springs...

Next you will need to check piston to head interference this becomes a issue if you deck the block...

Their is some differences in these old flatheads its not yer dads Oldsmobile ask questions if you are unsure...

All are great updates and very desirable for a working tractor.
If he's truly found an original 1939, what's left of the purist in
me would like to see it restored/kept as original though.
If, as many (most/all?) have, after all these years, it has already
been modified, farmerized and parts swapped, then by all means,
make the best working tractor out of it that it can be.
They are great old machines and will work for many years to come!

Krispy, my 1953 Golden Jubilee was quite a refurb and turned out great,
but this 1952 8N is probably as close as I've done to a "restoration".

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My best advice is to not overspend on
it.
Have seen a lot of folks buy an N then
spend $3/4 Grand "restoring" it.
Then they find they're under horsed and
overpaid.
It's far better to spend modestly on it,
work it for a year or two then trade up
for a newer, better model like an 860 or
3000 that have important options and
features.

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
It's far better to spend modestly on it, work it for a year or two then trade up for a newer, better model like an 860 or 3000 that have important options and features.

Or, spend the $3K, work the snot out of it for over ten years (still going strong!) and save up for a second tractor suitable for the bigger use cases.

Razz

es

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good plan IF a guy can afford
more than one tractor.
Many, if not most new guys here buy an N
because it is the lowest priced 3 point
tractor around.
But by the time they add the couple/few
Grand restoring it it was not the best
bang for their buck.

Richard Holland
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the sleeves are still .040 the shop would bore out the old sleeves to the size to insert the .090 cast iron sleeves.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newest mental-patient to join the Ford 9N restorer commu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a sleeve tool I would loan you. Pay a refundable deposit and shipping both ways. Send email if interested.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters