Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

evaluating my 9n

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroline Chamblin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's spring
and now it's time to start mowing again. It's become a dreaded thing, trying to get the tractor going even though it is a simple machine. I am thinking of selling it and buying a different mower. I am attaching some photos to see if any of you experienced folks would care to help me figure out what to do? I probably have 10 years living left on this property and I think it may be time to let go of this tractor.
Thank you again for all the help you have given me before,
Caroline

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where abouts are you maybe there is somebody close that could work on it , my 47 - 2n starts as easy as my 2010 pickup

SCR
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-grizz02 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:23:31 04/17/19) where abouts are you maybe there is somebody close that could work on it , my 47 - 2n starts as easy as my 2010 pickup

Just want to start it? Pull off the air intake at the carb, then give a squirt of starting fluid (starting ether) while cranking. If it starts but does not run then it is the gas supply, if that is it check the filter bowl under the tank.
If it does not kick off with the starting fluid, then check to see if it has spark, the easy way is to take off a spark plug wire and fit another spark plug into the connector, ground the hex part of the plug to the engine and crank it watch for a spark at the gap. If it has spark and gas it will run if your battery is up.
When using the starting fluid make sure the engine is cranking when spraying into the carb.

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Caroline,
Good grief, I have not seen you post here, for a really long while!!
Hope things have been going good for you.
I wish we were closer....I would come over to help with the 'N', like you always had DELL to rely on. ( God rest his soul)

My email is always open at the bottom of my posts.......If ya want to talk about certain problems, maybe I can help you via the telephone.
Just jot me an email, and I'll send you my Tele#

Good to know you are still kicking the weeds.!!! Cool

Gary
GB in MT.

Caroline Chamblin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
Thank you so much! I am thinking
of selling and it would be great
to talk with you.

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Caroline chamblin wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:53:17 04/17/19) Hi Gary,
Thank you so much! I am thinking
of selling and it would be great
to talk with you.

C.C.;
I find that I still have your email, from the early days.
Hoping it is still valid!!!

I just typed out my info for you, and sent you an email!!!

Gary

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Caroline I have hauled over 3000 of those to the scrap yard in the past 35 + years because of starting problems. People get tired of spending hundreds of dollars attempting to get them or keep them running. A good little 2000 or 3000 ford is a far better unit. Unlike an N ford they are very reliable about starting and always have far better brakes than any n ford. In not trying to discourage you. You may find someone there to help you. Good luck with it.

Jerry9N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My seventy nine year old 9N is one of the most reliable tools I have. It plows all of our snow all winter, and the heavy snows for my aging neighbor a half mile down the road. It does require some basic maintenance, but nothing very expensive or complicated. Spark plugs twice in ten years, one new battery, I did rewire it after I first got it. Oil changes sporadically whether needed or not. I had to put air in a front tire last week. There?s no inherent reason a 9N can?t be reliable, they are the most basic tractor you could find. Spending the time to fix it once and for all is going to be cheaper than selling it as a non running tractor and buying anything else.

Jerry

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jerry9N wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:04:32 04/17/19) My seventy nine year old 9N is one of the most reliable tools I have. It plows all of our snow all winter, and the heavy snows for my aging neighbor a half mile down the road. It does require some basic maintenance, but nothing very expensive or complicated. Spark plugs twice in ten years, one new battery, I did rewire it after I first got it. Oil changes sporadically whether needed or not. I had to put air in a front tire last week. There?s no inherent reason a 9N can?t be reliable, they are the most basic tractor you could find. Spending the time to fix it once and for all is going to be cheaper than selling it as a non running tractor and buying anything else.

Jerry

I'm with Jerry. Our 2N is probably the most reliable vehicle we have, including tractors, cars, lawnmowers and anything else with an engine. That didn't just happen, though, it took a thorough rebuild, including new valves engine bearings, wiring harness, coil, points, condenser, distributor cap, cut out switch, battery and a thorough carburetor cleaning.

The total cost of parts was 600 bucks.

The other cost was a lot of my time.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Madam,
You will never get good advice on this board when it comes to upgrading to a newer machine as most people here are completely stuck on their Ns and will always try to talk you into keeping the one you have.
It is no sin to upgrade to a newer, more reliable tractor.
Something like a 20 year old, 30 hp Kubota that was well taken care of would be a good choice.
Whatever you buy, get a diesel.
Diesels just run and run and never have all the spark and fuel problems that are inherent to gassers.

doublebass73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 9N starts easier than anything I own including my Jeeps. Literally one revolution or less and it fires right up. That being said I rebuilt the carb and put in a new distributor. I did the work myself so it was cheap. If you don't have the know how then you have a decision to make, either take the time to learn how to do the repairs yourself, pay someone to fix your N or spend the big bucks on a new or newer tractor.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:19:46 04/18/19) Madam,
You will never get good advice on this board when it comes to upgrading to a newer machine as most people here are completely stuck on their Ns and will always try to talk you into keeping the one you have.
It is no sin to upgrade to a newer, more reliable tractor.
Something like a 20 year old, 30 hp Kubota that was well taken care of would be a good choice.
Whatever you buy, get a diesel.
Diesels just run and run and never have all the spark and fuel problems that are inherent to gassers.
Diesels run good until they don't and then it will be a trip to the shop for a high priced fix.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 3 cylinder injector pump and injectors
will go for 40 years - depending on use.
A new CAV clone pump is about $650 and
three injectors about $150.
Lets round it up to $900.
Yeah, that hurts. But then you are good
for another 30 years.
How many sets of points and plugs will
you go through in that time? How many
carb kits?
More importantly, how many agravating no
start situations will you encounter or
how many hours of annual spark
maintenance will you have done in that
30 years and with our modern gas, how
much stabil will you have purchased?
For you, maybe that maintenance is a
labor of love and you don't mind doing
it.
For Madam Chamblin who can't do their
own maintenance the cost for a gasser is
Much higher over those years.
Diesels are just way more reliable.

Caroline Chamblin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who has replied.
I have done much of my maintenance over the years, rebuilt a carb, new points, wires, and plugs, put in one of those gadgets sold by some guy on here that fixes the height of the PTO (it promptly broke). You can't find a mechanic for extra help or advice without paying 60.00 an hour usually. Dell helped me many years ago with some electrical.
I have kept this tractor because I haven't had the money to buy something else. We purchased this in 1999 at an antique tractor show. A nice young man had refurbished it as a project for his club. I suppose I should write a for sale ad and just put that up.
I like diesels, never be able to afford to buy one outright though. I buy my yard walk behind mowers used. I am quite stubborn about things having just finally given in to powered wheels on the small walk behind mower I use around the house.
I appreciate all the advice. thank you.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: evaluating my 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Caroline, you say you dread trying to start it each Spring. Do you keep the battery charged during the winter? In my opinion, that's the best maintenance one can do while the tractor or any vehicle for that matter sits for months. If you don't have a battery tender or some other brand, just putting the battery charger on it for an hour or so, once a month is all that's necessary.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters