Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '53 UB has huge cracks in the exhaust manifold. Didn't help when I created huge backfires when I went to new Pertronix, dist. cap, wires, plugs, then reconnecting the wires incorrectly. Didn't realize that the rotor moves counter-clockwise. Anyway, I have ordered a replacement exhaust manifold and want to know if anyone has done this and if they can offer any advice. Thanks.

Scout2008
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a new one on my 53 UB a couple years ago. I put an electronic ignition in it, and the new manifold when I restored it. Everything works great.
Biggest issue if getting a good paint on the manifold to fight rust.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Scout2008 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:46:35 04/19/19) I put a new one on my 53 UB a couple years ago. I put an electronic ignition in it, and the new manifold when I restored it. Everything works great.
Biggest issue if getting a good paint on the manifold to fight rust.

Thank you for the reply. What kind of paint did you use? Also, did you have any issues removing the [rusted] nuts? Looks like they are originals. Here are some photos.

Scout2008
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, the nuts came off pretty easily. I usually replace them, and the studs if they are worn. That thing is really cracked! I used high temp primer and
paint and it didn?t work well. I have been having the ones I have done lately cerekoted.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scout, thanks for the input. Yes, that manifold is "toast." I did look into the cerekote process, a ceramic-type coating. Not cheap, but likely the right system for superior results. I am guessing you do a fair amount of work on Vintage Tractors. My UB is just a workhorse, used to move stuff around with a front loader.

Scout2008
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My UB, was my Grandpas and he bought it in 54.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replaced a cracked manifold on my '47 UTU (same engine as your UB).

Had no issues whatsoever changing it out. The clamp nuts (brass) came off easily, and the new manifold fit up perfectly.

I didn't bother painting the new manifold. It came painted, and the original manifold lasted 60+ years with the OEM paint - that's good enough for me.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually if nuts don't want to turn:
the stud will screw out. Yours don't
look too bad. Should be an easy swap

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have repaired MM manifolds that were worse than that. Don't do it

much anymore ,health is catching up with me.

I'll put a link to a Mm I did a number of years ago. Tour the whole

site.

george
MM manifold

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want black on the hot parts , get a can of JD muffler painy.

You won't like the price , but it will last better than anything

else. I hate buying JD stuff ,but it works.

george

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point about the original paint!

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George, the job you did on the "cracked beyond recognition" manifold is amazing! Like a piece of art when you finished with it.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scout, yes I did see your post earlier. What a masterful job you did on that UB!

Scout2008
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My UB, was my Grandpas and he bought it in 54.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: UB Exhaust Manifold Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My grandpa and dad both worked at the MM Plant in Minneapolis on Lake Street. I have a picture of grandpa [top row, second from left] at the Lake Street Plant. I grew up in Minneapolis not far from this Plant.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters