Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rust Removal Methods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
69hemi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alternative to sandblasting ? Rust Bullit,POR 15, Eastwood rust encapsulator, anyone try these ?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many many many pages of discussions on these products here.It is a very popular topic. My most common procedure is to clean first with a flap wheel, and a cup type twisted wire wheel. After removing 99% of the rust I apply phosphoric acid rust converter, because the microscopic particles of rust that are left in pits and dings can lift your new paint in 2-3 years. One needs to follow the instructions when using the rust converters. I wash with aggressively with water then wipe down with alcohol to prevent flash rust. Their are other favored methods such as electrolysis. There is a comprehensive article about this in your Antique Power magazine that came yesterday. There are also the EDTA rust dissolvers that work well.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EDTA? Is that like Evapo-Rust?

paintron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EDTA is what is called a chelating agent (ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid). They will give you this if you have heavy metal poisoning. Last time I used it was in college for titrations. Interesting someone found a way to remove rust with it.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Mike(NEOhio) wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:22:10 04/26/19) EDTA? Is that like Evapo-Rust?

Yes, Mike Evaporust is one of them. I couldn't remember the name so I used the ingredient. The company that I work for uses a lot of EDTA in producing mechanical ware washing detergents.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what I thought, I just never noticed the active ingredient. I've been using it for a few years and love it for parts I can soak. Works great if you're not looking for instant gratification.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alternative to sandblasting on what? Some things sandblasting is the only way. If the project isn't very big and you can get to it a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder does very well.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:50:33 04/26/19) Alternative to sandblasting on what? Some things sandblasting is the only way. If the project isn't very big and you can get to it a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder does very well.

Stephen, really?

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Simplest and cheapest is remove the big stuff, with your favorite technique, then soak in vinegar for a few days. Bingo, it removes all the rust, leaves behind clear metal, sometimes black oxidized metal.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you mean?

69hemi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a small soaking project. I talking plow size...

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-69hemi wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:10:01 04/27/19) Not a small soaking project. I talking plow size...

Hemi, as I posted first, flap wheel. If you have not used one before you will want a respirator mask because you will be in a cloud of rust dust. I assume that you are restoring so you will need to follow up with rust converter to kill the rust in the pits.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:23:13 04/27/19)
CVPost-69hemi wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:10:01 04/27/19) Not a small soaking project. I talking plow size...

Hemi, as I posted first, flap wheel. If you have not used one before you will want a respirator mask because you will be in a cloud of rust dust. I assume that you are restoring so you will need to follow up with rust converter to kill the rust in the pits.

Flap wheels are really good at gouging and making a wavy finish, especially if you have never used one.

There really is no replacement for sand blasting.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:00:06 04/29/19)
showcrop wrote:
CVPost-69hemi wrote:

Flap wheels are really good at gouging and making a wavy finish, especially if you have never used one.

No way I would sandblast a plow share, LOL. I would have to follow up with a flap wheel to smooth it.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Removal Methods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:01:42 04/29/19)
yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:00:06 04/29/19)
showcrop wrote:
CVPost-69hemi wrote:

No way I would sandblast a plow share, LOL. I would have to follow up with a flap wheel to smooth it.

I thought this was to be painted? You can create gobs of wave with a flap wheel that will look like garbage with paint on them.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters