Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1020 head is home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

10.5 hour round trip including lunch, loading and a short visit with the seller. Looks to be a nice unit. I had stopped and inspected a week ago on my way back from Chicago but it was getting late and it was in the shed...doesn't look like I missed much. But I bet I did!!! :)

I have to think those 3 wire HHC plugs that came with these units must have been poor quality. The fella who sold me the 1660 years ago said the one on his head went bad so he put a standard trailer harness on the combine and head. Same thing with this head...trailer harness and no plug. So matches my combine BUT...I am wondering if the guy who sold me the head and the guy who sold me the combine wired those trailer plugs just the same. I will have to check the schematics on both sides to see are they wired to match. Fella had some hardware he says are the brackets to lock it into rigid position. Are they right?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's them. But you still need the turn buckle for the drive end.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any chance that could be hanging on the head somewhere?

Need to get a manual now. I have the serial number. Drove out there today and took a pic of the tag. Fella told me it was an early model...serial number 000768? Yeah, that sounds like an earlier model!

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Without looking at the header, or a picture of it, I'm not absolutely sure, but I think there's a few links of chain there for flex operation, where the turnbuckle goes to lock it up. I suppose it could be left there somehow. As I recall there's a good picture of it in the manual.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 1020's that I've been around are fairly famous for breaking the cutter bar right beside the wobble box.

You need to keep a close eye on the condition of the "A" shaped pivot arm under that end of the header. Look for weld cracks on the arm and also inspect the pivot bearings on the arm for any slop. Chances of breaking the cutter bar are slim if that arm is in good condition. I think the manual calls for grease on those bearings at 50 hours. I grease mine every morning.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had an 820 do that very thing. The bearing went bad and it caused the arm to stress the knife head. I welded mine back together and replaced the bearing. Not something I wanted to do but it worked out. So I am thinking that it is an issue with the "open" style of wobble linkage as opposed to the newer ones that are in oil. I'm told those last longer but I am betting the open ones are easier to catch going bad and repair. Just my 2/100 of a dollar.

RODGEinIL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the later heads you just pin up the sickle end with a pin and quick clip. Don?t know the year, my 99 1020 is that way.

TJV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you get a manual with it? I have a manual here for the earlier 1020 headers it's yours if you want it email me if interested

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did not come with a manual...I sent you an email. Thanks!

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 head is home Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks tjv! Manual arrived today and is exactly what was needed. Very kind of you and much appreciated.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters