Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Planer Electrical question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just picked up a Foley planer at an
auction yesterday and it has a extra
switch box installed on it. I was
wondering what the purpose of it would be
and if I could remove it, would make
plugging it in and keeping it mobile
easier. Supposed to be a 5HP motor on it
but haven't confirmed that yet.
Everything runs good, both switches do
have to be on for it to run.
Thanks,
John

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a "motor starter", a relay with overcurrent protection that switches the rather large amperage draw required by the motor using a little low current switch to operate the "starter".

The "starter" will trip out in case of overload, protecting the motor.

nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it may be something like that, probably a good idea to keep in place? However I think I will need to switch the cords around. It is wired with a short cord from the outlet to the starter and a long cord between the starter and planer, I think it will work better the other way in my situation.
Thanks

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could it be for a dust collector?

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a 3 pole contactor, normally used with 3 phase power. Is the motor single or 3 phase?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-kencombs wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:19:53 05/17/19) That's a 3 pole contactor, normally used with 3 phase power. Is the motor single or 3 phase?

I noticed that, as well, but it appears to me only the first two sets of contacts are used.

Certainly would be a "deal breaker", though, for the O.P., if it IS 3-phase and he doesn't has 3-phase available.

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The planer is only single phase. You can see the white/black/green wires of each cord.

To the OP, in a home shop setup, the starter is typically mounted to the planer. For what ever reason, yours was probably mounted to the wall, and the long cord then went to the planer. (Keeps you from starting it with your fingers in the wrong place.)

nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The planer is single phase, ran it last night when I brought it home. I was thinking it was permanently mounted to the wall will just need to do some work to mount it to the machine.
Thanks

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may also be there to give you the protection of no restart after power failure or starting up when it's plugged in. Meaning your start/stop switch is a momentary switch and if power drops out the planer will quit and won't re-start unless it has power to it and you press the start switch, additionally it you plug it in it can't start unless the start button is plugged in after you plug it in.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Planer Electrical question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's just a magnetic switch. If you don't have a business with employees you don't have to have it. What it does is in the event of a power failure a person doesn't go off and leave it only to have it come back on when the power comes back on. With a magnetic switch one the power is interrupted it goes off and stays off.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters