Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 440 baler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gotmyfarm! wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:01:07 05/14/19) I never thought that a square baler could be a wire tied one because I've never seen wire on a bale. Are there a lot of balers out there that use only wire? Most common balers for sale around here are JD 14 and 24T, and various New Holland models.

Back when I was employed by a dealer in the 60's-80's the majority of small sq balers were wire tie. I only remember a very few twine tie small sq balers being sold. There are are still a lot of small sq balers around utilizing wire. Only type small sq baler I've owned is wire BUT I'd like to own a twine tie just because of the high cost of wire & heavy weight of the box of wire plus the wire made for balers today isn't the highest quality.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great! Thank you all so much for answering my elementary questions. Sounds like this baler would work. It just is SO far away. And so big to put on a trailer. Said it should have new knot knives put on. Sounds easy? Or, I could go with a closer-to-me-for-sale green baler and look all red and green like a chritmas tree.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I?m green and red opposite a Christmas tree
and always have been and it never hurt me any IH
made good implements in the day . If you really
wanted it I wouldn?t trailer it I?d find out what size
tires buy two new ones take with and put em on I
drill a hole for a 1/4 inch grease zerk in the hub
caps put a zerk In each wheel grease em and head
down the road

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very Happy And if I get a green one, my green neighbor will think it's his and come over and take it. I would've thought they already have zerks. Listen to me talk about zerks. Two years ago I didn't know what that was.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not the 45? There is a 46 for sale near me. It doesn't look as nice condition. Is that model ok? Doesn't look so well kept.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very few wheel bearings have zerks as that was found out to be a bad idea for everything except a boat trailer that you dunked the wheels in the water every time you used it. And some boat trailers did not go for the zerk either. On all other wheel bearings you used a special wheel bearing grease and the bearings were hand packed with it. Then you take that zerk if you greased it you used a different type non stikey grease and if you pumped in enough to fill the cavity in the hub you were mixing grease of different kinds not a good idea. But if you pumped in enough grease to fill that cavity then likely you would come up with enough grease pressure to blow out the seals. Even if you did not do it pumping the greae in if it was packed solid the expansion of the grease heating would blow out that seal. Now on that boat wheel the idea was to push out any water that got in while dunked and for that you needed to push grease past the seal to get all the water out. A good seal should not let the water in tho. And most implement bearings the seal is already slightly wore out so some grease leakage is likely and if the bearing is slightly wore that will ruin a seal. But to mix the wheel bearing grease with gun grease is not a good idea. They do make a special grease for those boat wheels instead of the gun grease but it comes in a cartrige like gun grease but made differently and is high priced. Best if you do pull it is to pull the wheel bearings out and check for any wear play then clean them completely, big job, and repack with new grease using sonething like the red & tacky grease. It is very sticky unlike gun grease and also a high temperature grease. and then put new seals in if the old bearings are not worn too much to be good with proper adjustment, if bearings are worn then you need new bearings. In the old days it was not uncommon to have to pull the wheels and bearings on your family car every 1,000 mile and repack them because even if they had the seals and some did not they and the grease were not a very good quality. On the new trailer axles with the grease zerks it is just something to make the buyer that knows nothing feel good. best on them to forget they are there and do the hand packing. In the factory they have a machine to do like the hand packing does. On the models they are too new for me as quit baling 39 years ago. But wheel bearing tecnolage is still the same but better grease. John Deere did put those zerks on the front tractor wheels but the ones that knew how to take care of things never used them and they quit putting them in.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very few wheel bearings have zerks as that was found out to be a bad idea for everything except a boat trailer that you dunked the wheels in the water every time you used it. On all other wheel bearings you used a special wheel bearing grease and the bearings were hand packed with it. Then you take that zerk if you greased it you used a different type non stiky grease and if you pumped in enough to fill the cavity in the hub you were mixing grease of different kinds not a good idea. But if you pumped in enough grease to fill thativaty then likely you would come up with enough grease pressure to blow out the seals. Even if you did not do it pumping the greae in if it was packed sollid the expansion of the grease heating would blow out that seal. Now on that boat wheel the idea was topush out any water that got in while dunked and for that you needed to push grease past the seal to get all the water out. A good seal should not let the water in tho. And most implement bearings the seal is already slightly wore out so some grease leakage is likely and if the bearing is slightly wore that will ruin a seal. But to mix the wheel bearing grease with gun grease is not a good idea. They do make a special grease for those boat wheels instead of the gun grease but it comes in a cartrige like gun grease but made differently and is high priced. Best if yoy do pull it is to pull the wheel bearings out and check for any wear play then clean them completely, big job, and repack with no grease usinf sonething like the red & tacky grease. It is very sticky unlike gun grease and also a high temperature grease. and then put new seals in if the old bearings are not worn too much to be good with proper adjustment, if bearings are worn then you need new bearings. In the old days it was not uncommon to have to pull the wheels and bearings on your family car every 1,000 mile and repack them because even if they had the seals and some did not they and the grease were not a very good quality. On the new trailer axles with the grease zerks it is just something to make the buyer that knows nothing feel good. best on them to forget they are there and do the hand packing. In the factory they have a machine to do like the hand packing does. On the models they are too new for me as quit baling 39 years ago. But wheel bearing tecnolage is still the same but better grease. John Deere did put those zerks on the front wheels but the ones that knew how to take care of things never used them and they quit putting them in.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy, wow, lots of knowledge there! A little over my head! All I know is you put grease in the zerk points. I have read others talking about seal blow outs on things. Well, I have to get going out on the tractor now. I'll come back tonight and think about all of this some more.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have grease zerks in every implement on the place
I use any high temperature grease either Lucas of
synthetic John Deere grease . Last summer I pulled
the disk 70 miles to a job I?ve never had a problem
from greasing an implement wheel I have from not
greasing . I also grease the tractor front wheels
everyday and never a problem there either

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of people don't like the 45. Biggest complaint is the tongue doesn't swing. Next is the capacity. That baler was designed to bale a 7' windrow. Guys mow with a 9' Haybine and try to run that windrow through the 45 and wonder why it won't work. It will actually bale it, but you have to go real slow.
Most other complaints are the result of poor maintenance. You were supposed to oil about 3' of the twine and pull it inside the needle tubes, at the end of the season, to keep them from rusting where the twine had polished them. Nobody ever did that. The result was the twine arm was unable to control the twine tension during the tying cycle, and the knot is missed. The twine arm has to pull the twine backward a short distance and keep it taught, as the needles recede, so the twine can be picked up by the twine disk.

The next complaint was the shear pin. It should not break every time the baler is slugged. The PTO safety clutch was never inspected since the day they brought the baler home, and over time, it seized up. At the start of every season, the bolts on the pressure plate were to be loosened, and a wooden block was placed between the knives to stall the plunger. The PTO was then operated a few seconds, then the pressure plate bolts retightened. This was called "burnishing the clutch".

The 45 was maintenance labor intensive, but it did the job that IH built it to do in that particular era. It was a good little baler when it was well taken care of.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new 440 all twine with the rubber, mounted teeth, super sweep pickup, which was great,But i had a lot of trouble with the knooter's, had to get rid of it!

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fritz, really really good explanation. Thanks!

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They were new at time we got the New Holland 66 baler. I in my 75 years never heard to know why they would not work.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters