Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Saving orginal patina

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fordjub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you guys suggest for saving the
patina on orginal tractors? I will wax the
sheet metal. Kinda wondering what to do
with the chassis

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most street rodders will clear coat there auto's or trucks,they make a satin or a shiny clear coat.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To keep it truly original all you can do is wash it. Or not...

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not sure patina applies in this case. Oxidation, rust and wear caused by years of indifference to appearance? Plus there is an assumption that the process is complete. What are you trying to preserve it from? Put it inside in a controlled environment and it will stay as it is for a long time. Use it, take it out in the rain and sun and it will continue to deteriorate. Spraying it with something to capture a moment in time is likely to end up like plastic surgery in the long run. That ain't good. Smile

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid Film work very good. Comes in a spray can or gallons.

Fordjub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will this hurt the paint? Will it give it a little shine?

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will not hurt the paint, but preserve it. It is Lanolin based. It will give some shine and might need to reapplied later in the year. Get a can from a farm supply store or my John Deere dealer carries it. You could also try Boiled Linseed oil. Many collectors I know use Fluid Film on their original paint tractors.

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

diesel fuel and a rag or pump sprayer

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sure would hate to go out in the field doing work once its sprayed with diesel or fluid film. be one big dust bunny. fluid film don't dry very quick, its a real dirt collector! best is nothing or clear coat it after a light sanding and clean up. they look nice for a show that way also. only need the sheet metal sprayed.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's funny if you went to buy a new tractor and the paint was failing with rust spots all over it a person would pass on deal. An old tractor with these characteristics is treasured.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sand it off, and collect with a vacuum cleaner and save it in a trash bag for the next owner... If its really a good tactor, I keep it long enough that it comes back on its own.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When one refers to "original patina" on an old tractor, I picture a fair amount of rust. If I wax over rust I get white which doesn't look to me like original patina, so I have to wonder exactly what you have that you are trying to preserve, in order to suggest a course of action. Also there are many pictures of old tractors posted here that are really long ago repaints.

barwinn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would remove the surface rust, wash it and apply a good wax.

newtattoobob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Fordjub wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:44:16 05/09/19) What do you guys suggest for saving the
patina on orginal tractors? I will wax the
sheet metal. Kinda wondering what to do
with the chassis

Here is my 49 M I just finished. I love the original patina look. I did a lot of research about preserving patina and a lot of people in the car community especially the rat rod people recommended this product called Penetrol. If you search on YouTube there are lots of videos on it it. It is originally supposed to be mixed with paint to help it flow and eliminate brush strokes. I lightly sanded the sheet metal and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol then applied with a brush. It levels out nicely and dries like a Clear coat. The stuff is cheap too, it's about $15 a quart and I used 2 quarts to do 2 coats on whole tractor. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving orginal patina Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use it too , it's an indispensable product for so many applications . Australian as well Very Happy

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters