Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rod Bearings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwieber
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

41' B
installed rod bearings last night and now i cant spin the engine.
is there supposed to be shims between the cap and rod?

standard bearings replaced with standard bearings.
no shims present when i tore it down.
all rods and caps clearly labeled and according to the manual i purchased, #1 & #3 installed with long side of bearing towards flywheel and #2 & #4 towards the timing gear (front).
which made all of the markings on the same side, facing Left.

is it necessary to file the bearings down flush with rod and cap or are the left proud for a squish factor?

thanks

KL in Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has shims in it

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should be shimmed with a final clearance of .002"
AaronSEIA

jwieber
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Aaron SEIA"](quoted from post at 12:52:53 05/20/19) Should be shimmed with a final clearance of .002"
AaronSEIA[/quote]

Where can I find said shims?

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now way to make a call without checking clearance. If you are using new bearings on a crankshaft that has not been freshly ground you will most likely need to file the bearings to get the .002 clearance without forcing the bearings in toward the journal.

Here is a link to some pictures on fitting new bearings to a in spec crankshaft slightly under size from ware.

I mic the journal and then mic the inside of the bearing clamped in the caps. I file the bearing end without the tab still in the cap to make sure the bearing end stays square. If I need to file .001 I use feeler gage to measure how much the bearing end is above the cap before filing. I want .004 difference between the journal and the bearing clamped inside the caps That gives me the needed crush.
Here

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Micking the difference this way will tell you if you need shims. With no shims now you may not need them but then again you might.

jwieber
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Dick L"](reply to post at 14:22:03 05/20/19) [/quote]

Thank you, I picked up some plastigauge today. I thought maybe I could file the bearings. Assuming that's where the excessive pressure is coming from. But I'll check it first.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the rods resized & forget about the shims.

jwieber
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-teddy52food"](reply to post at 19:06:40 05/20/19) [/quote]

no time.

jwieber
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="jwieber"](reply to post at 06:58:09 05/21/19) [/quote]

found an issue with #1 a little emery cloth cleaned right up.

everything is spinning just fine 2,3,&4 are at .002" and #1 is a little tight still just on the very edge. gonna run it.

just hope i can figure out the timing now.

thanks

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters