Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Paint

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:42:42 06/07/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:42 06/07/19)
yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:20 06/07/19)
I'd hope it gives you automotive paint performance since it IS automotive paint...

Yakob do you think that anyone else had trouble understanding my post?

Which post?

Your first post in this thread said "I don't agree at all" and then you proceeded to imply some of the same points as the OP, thereby agreeing in some ways. It is not possible to be in total disagreement while still maintaining any original point made by the other party as true. The essence of the OP could be captured as "buy NAPA paint since it is better for negligible cost difference, if any" and you made the same point, yet somehow in disagreement.

Your second post (the one I poked fun at) said "They [Nason] give you close to automotive paint performance at half to a third of what many automotive paints go for." See, what you have done here is not only make a price comparison specifically to the pool of more expensive automotive paints, but you have also compared Nason's performance to he entire pool of automotive paints and have deemed said performance as less than that of the entire pool. Since the entire pool to Nason would include itself, the claim logically boils down to "it cannot perform as good as itself" which cannot be true.

There was no lack of understanding, only sarcasm that seems to be lost on some people.

Do you think the sarcasm in my original post or in this current one was misunderstood by anyone else?

My head is spinning

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:14:18 06/07/19)
yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:42:42 06/07/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:42 06/07/19)
yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:20 06/07/19)
I'd hope it gives you automotive paint performance since it IS automotive paint...

Yakob do you think that anyone else had trouble understanding my post?

Which post?

Your first post in this thread said "I don't agree at all" and then you proceeded to imply some of the same points as the OP, thereby agreeing in some ways. It is not possible to be in total disagreement while still maintaining any original point made by the other party as true. The essence of the OP could be captured as "buy NAPA paint since it is better for negligible cost difference, if any" and you made the same point, yet somehow in disagreement.

Your second post (the one I poked fun at) said "They [Nason] give you close to automotive paint performance at half to a third of what many automotive paints go for." See, what you have done here is not only make a price comparison specifically to the pool of more expensive automotive paints, but you have also compared Nason's performance to he entire pool of automotive paints and have deemed said performance as less than that of the entire pool. Since the entire pool to Nason would include itself, the claim logically boils down to "it cannot perform as good as itself" which cannot be true.

There was no lack of understanding, only sarcasm that seems to be lost on some people.

Do you think the sarcasm in my original post or in this current one was misunderstood by anyone else?

My head is spinning

That's not surprising.

Do you think other people's heads are spinning?

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did that but they listed the resin as proprietary trade secret or something to that effect.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but Nason is some nasty stuff to spray. The fumes can put a major hurt on you even with a chemical respirator on. You need an air supplied respirator to safely work it. The respirator has a compressor on it which you place where the air is clean and it pumps clean air to the mask. The stuff will go right through a conventional respirator. I know this because I sprayed two gallons of it once outdoors with such a respirator and held my breath when I was downwind from the paint. After I was done I coughed for six months.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:27:34 06/07/19) I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but Nason is some nasty stuff to spray. The fumes can put a major hurt on you even with a chemical respirator on. You need an air supplied respirator to safely work it. The respirator has a compressor on it which you place where the air is clean and it pumps clean air to the mask. The stuff will go right through a conventional respirator. I know this because I sprayed two gallons of it once outdoors with such a respirator and held my breath when I was downwind from the paint. After I was done I coughed for six months.

I agree with this fully. Unless you can keep your air spray booth clean, and use the proper cartridges in the proper manner, you need supplied air.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many different stories here on respirators and supplied air.

The main issue is the iso cynanates in the hardener, no way I would do it without supplies air, ended up in ER when I tried not too.

jd man wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How is this NAPA paint for painting can u use a charcoal filter to pray it.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jd man wis wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:18:16 06/12/19) How is this NAPA paint for painting can u use a charcoal filter to pray it.

Generally speaking, your paint options become more dangerous as the durability goes up. Safest would be something like rustoleum, then your implement paints, then add hardener to those, then move up into acrylic enamels, then urethanes, then polyurethanes like Imron, etc...

The NAPA paint will either be acrylic enamel or urethane, depending on what you get. It will have a lot of hardener in it either way and these paints are nothing to laugh at for safety.

If you have to spray with a filter mask, use the proper silicone 3M mask with the correct cartridges. Replace the cartridges often. Shave your beard and facial hair to be smooth as silk for a good seal. Do smaller batches, lower your PSI where possible to prevent fogging up the work area, and keep fresh air coming in. All the while, keep in mind that the iso's are damaging to your EYES as well. I have horrible dry eye problems now and it is not fun.

The cartridges you need to replace very regularly (like every 8 hours once the seal is broken) -- to the point that you are better off just ponying up for supplied air and not having to worry about all this other crap in my opinion.

1 trip to the ER will cost you no less than 2 full fresh air setups depending on your health insurance. A couple normal visits will likely add up to about as much as one setup as well. Pay now or pay later.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It comes down to durability and the isocyanate hardeners do that. Acrylic enamels will have a milder isocyanate hardener which is safer to use. It's more similar to the hardener tractor supply sells to add to common enamel paint. Unless you made a career of spraying it I wouldn't worry about it with reasonable ventilation. If you want to go completely isocyanate free Duplicolor sells lacquer automotive paints. They have all but quit making lacquer automotive paint because it isn't as durable as urethanes but I painted my first car with lacquer and it lasted for ten years before I sold the car. I think it's still a much better paint than the alkyd enamels tractor supply sells.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:56:23 06/12/19)Acrylic enamels will have a milder isocyanate hardener which is safer to use. It's more similar to the hardener tractor supply sells to add to common enamel paint.

Not true. A lot of acrylic enamel lines use the exact same hardener as the urethane line, albeit a smaller dosage (8:1 as opposed to 4:1).

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters