Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Idea Full Bale Switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerwin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: New Idea Full Bale Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used my 484 for the first time today and it worked well, except for the full bale indicator stopping partway through baling. I was able to guess after that based on engine speed once the bales were about done. Is there a way to check to see if the switch is faulty or if something failed in the monitor? Otherwise the electric tie worked well and the bales turned out OK.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Idea Full Bale Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I gave up on the full bale indicator the first year I had my NI round baler. My baler made 4x4 bales, and my brother still has one the same, and runs his with a 50 hp 584 IH. With a 50 hp tractor, you can?t make a very heavy bale of hay, you just run out of power. He keeps putting hay into the baler till the old tractor is blowing black smoke before he puts the string on, and still has bales that don?t weight much. And will stall the tractor before it will shear a pin. I ran my baler with my CaseIH 5140 95 hp, and it would shear the pin, not fun. I would run hay in till the tractor started to labor some. My pto speed would be at 540, and as the the bale got near ready to tie, pto speed would start to drop. I would generally get the string on at 525-530 rpm pto speed, but if both strings didn?t catch and start to tie, I?d stop and find out why. Because if I kept feeding hay in, and pto speed dropped to 510 rpm, I was in real danger of cutting off the shear pin. What hp tractor are you using? And is this the 4x5 baler? Bruce

Kerwin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Idea Full Bale Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, this is the 4x5 baler. I had it on my 1850 Oliver.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Idea Full Bale Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These balers eat hp if you want to make a tight bale that will stay round, and not sag. I had inside storage for dry hay, and could stack my 4x4 bales with my skid steer. I always stacked bales on their ends when ever possible, that way they stayed round. Which was important to us because we rolled them out for the cows in the dairy barn.

Dave O'Brien
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Idea Full Bale Switch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The switch on my 484 sometime gets some chaff built up and that causes it to flicker or not work. Might also be a poor ground connection at the switch.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters